New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can someone suggest a recipe for Northern Brewer and Saaz, or one for each?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
reddskinnfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Can someone suggest a recipe for Northern Brewer and Saaz, or one for each?

I picked up some Northern Brewer and Saaz pellet hops from HopsDirect. I really had no recipes for their use, but read that there were a lot of ales that used these two hops.

Anyone have a recipe suggestion for them together, or one recipe for each? Would you recommend a SMaSH recipe for these hops, and if so what grain for what hop?

Thanks for any info!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Irish Red, English Cider, Oktoberfest
Fermenter: English Cider, American IPA, Blonde Ale
On Deck: Arrogant Bastard and Lemon Pepper Saison
In the near future: El Dorado Amber Ale, Kolsch, Rye Pale Ale, Citra Wheat, Pumpkin Ale and Winter Warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

My favorite use for northern brewer hops is definitely the California common! I love it, and it's one of my favorite to keep on tap. I have two different recipes posted, if you want to take a look.

I don't use Saaz that much, but it's great as finishing hops in my Dead guy clone. It would be the perfect hop variety for a pilsner, though, if you have lagering capabilities.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
My favorite use for northern brewer hops is definitely the California common! I love it, and it's one of my favorite to keep on tap. I have two different recipes posted, if you want to take a look.

I don't use Saaz that much, but it's great as finishing hops in my Dead guy clone. It would be the perfect hop variety for a pilsner, though, if you have lagering capabilities.
Yeah, brew up a nice Cali Common. According to Jamil in "Brewing Classic Styles", a true Cali is brewed exclusively with NB hops. I have also recently brewed an American Stout that used 2oz of NB's later in the boil. I'll post the recipe (and my Cali Common) if you like. Cheers!

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use NB and Cascade in my Cream Ale. Not sure if it's to style or whatever, but it's basically BM's Cream of Three Crops with what I had laying around.

6.75 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
4 oz Crystal 10L

Mash at 152 for an hour, sparge with 175F water

Hops:
0.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min
0.5 oz NB @ 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade @ 0 min
0.5 oz NB @ 0 min

WLP001 yeast - ferment for two weeks @ 68F and toss it in the keg.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Saaz is commonly used in Belgian beers. It would be mighty tasty in a Dubbel or a Tripel.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

On Deck: American IPA, Märzen
Fermenting: None
In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've used NB in a Vienna/NB smash from DeathBrewer and it turned out fantastic. 10lb Vienna + 1oz Northern Brewer at each: 60min, 20min & 5min. US-05 or Notty yeast. AWESOME.

There's a recipe somewhere around here for a summer wheat beer with Saaz and some rye malt that got rave reviews.

To me, Saaz and Northern Brewer both give a little spicy or minty quality.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On the Saaz, might I suggest a saison with a couple of late hop additions. The spiciness of that hop seems to match the yeast and the style well.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply