New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can someone help me with a Black Dog Honey Raspberry Ale Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
wookiemofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Can someone help me with a Black Dog Honey Raspberry Ale Clone?

I am looking to clone the Black Dog Honey Raspberry as a PM. Doesn't have to be exact, just close.

My wife loves this stuff, and cannot have a beer until august (second baby coming). So I wanted to surprise her with a batch of this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, still a bit to green to figure it out myself.

http://franklindistributors.com/pdf_beverage/BlackDog3styles_SS.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

• Original Gravity: 12.2
• Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
• Malts: Caramel 40, Caramel 80, Munich,
Vienna
• Hops: Willamette, Tettnanger, Cascade
• 12 International Bitterness Units
--------------------
OG 1.048
FG 1.010

Mini Mash @ ~150 in 1 gallon of water:
1 lb Veinna
1 lb Munich
.5 lbs C-40
.25 lbs C-80

Extract:
5 lbs Light LME or 4.25 lbs light DME

I’d use the Willamette to bitter (the amount needed will depend on the AA% and how much wort you are boiling.) Add a small charge (.25-.5 oz) of Cascade and Tett in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I heard through the grapevine that this beer has only a very tiny amount of honey in it, so I would just skip it. Add raspberry extract to taste in the bottling bucket. Prime with .75 oz of sugar per gallon of beer to get a moderate level of carbonation.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Last edited by Oldsock; 04-29-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Might be a dumb question... will adding raspberry extract to the bottling bucket increase the amount of sugar for carbonation?

When you say to taste, I assume I actually pull a sample to taste and see if I need more extract?

Could I possibly just rack onto raspberries in the secondary?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Might be a dumb question... will adding raspberry extract to the bottling bucket increase the amount of sugar for carbonation?

When you say to taste, I assume I actually pull a sample to taste and see if I need more extract?

Could I possibly just rack onto raspberries in the secondary?
Raspberry extract is alcohol based, no issue for sugar/carbonation. I never use the stuff, fresh/frozen fruit is your best bet if you don’t mind the extra cost/effort. I make measured samples, and scale up, add ~75% of your estimated amount, sample, adjust (same thing I do for vanilla extract, spice teas, etc…).

Oregon purees are easy to use and sanitary, but they can make racking a bit more difficult (since they are gooey). Fruit juice is another good option, but it might be hard to find 100% raspberry juice (whole foods is a good place to check).

Frozen fruit is a good option, but it has a small chance of adding lactic acid bacteria or wild yeast to your beer. You should put it into the fermenter to defrost a few hours before you rack the beer onto it. Let the beer stay on it for 2-3 weeks then bottle. .5-1 lbs of raspberries per gallon is a good place to start for a moderate fruit character.

I love fresh/local/ripe fruit in sour beers, but it might be more risk than it is worth in a “clean” beer. I usually freeze it first anyway to help rupture the cell walls.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I think I'd prefer to do the fresh/frozen route... seems more organic. So if I picked up fresh raspberries at my local grocer... just throw it in the freezer, defrost in the secondary and rack on top?

Any tips for siphoning?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Yeah I think I'd prefer to do the fresh/frozen route... seems more organic. So if I picked up fresh raspberries at my local grocer... just throw it in the freezer, defrost in the secondary and rack on top?

Any tips for siphoning?
That's exactly what I do for sours, but itmight be worth giving the berries a quick dip is star-san solution before freezing, just to further reduce the chances of an infection from the fruit.

Yep, get an auto-siphon. Best investment I've made.

Quick Reply