Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Calypso hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #91
Jon_TWR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, add me to the list of people who picked up a lb of Calypso from Hops Direct based on the description and price.

I'm finally brewing with them today (A SMaSH with Fawcett MO), and they smell different than most any other hop I've smelled. I'm basically brewing a hopburst blonde, but I'm thinking about dry-hopping, since these have been reported as being so mellow.

I'll update with more details after I actually have tasted them in the beer. ;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #92
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200rsvt View Post
I was thinking about brewing a Maris Otter & Calypso SMASH this weekend.

stblindtiger - If you were brewing it again would you punch up the 20/10 hops to try for more flavor? 0.5 oz each on 20/10? Take 60 minute down to 05. oz and go 0.75 each on 20/10? Do you think the dry hop did anything/was worth while?

Sorry for the late reply, but if I was going to brew using this hop again I would definitely up my 20 and 10 additions.

To be honest though, I wouldn't have very high expectations. I feel as though this is a very solid bittering hop, but not much else...

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #93
AventinusCam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recently made a small red ale session that I had a very specific hop schedule picked out for. My local homebrew store usually has any hop you could possibly ever want, but when I went they were picked clean of most things. No Jades, Galaxies, or any other possible backups were there, so I read the descriptors and decided to use calypsos. The smell out of the bag was honestly incredible. It did smell like green apple. The smell continued in primary for a few days after us-05 was still working its magic. After that, it totally died. It got just way too bitter. It brought nothing else to the party. Just grassy bitterness. I realize tastes are subjective, but I know my water chemistry is ideal for brewing hoppy ales...yet somehow this just didn't deliver. Sorry for being wordy, but long story short...never using these again. Hopefully my single malt single hop pale with galaxy makes up for this.

Last edited by AventinusCam; 06-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #94
sunnyrepublic
Recipes 

Default Calypso - Tropical Fruit Salad

We use the 2012 harvest of NZ Calypso as our main aroma hop for Sunny Republic Beach Blonde.
Totally amazing aromas of tropical fruit salads, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon/lime.
Highly recommended

Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #95
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Anyone gone big with these?

I have a pound i got for 8$, thinking of this:

Pale ale
Hop extract 60 minutes to 25 IBU
4 oz calypso 0 min with 20min steep at 180deg
4 oz calypso dry hop

Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #96
22415 Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed an all-calypso pale ale using a very standard pale ale recipe and US05 yeast. It has a fruitiness that really reminds me of some of the esters that come from english ale yeasts, particularly stone fruit and a slight oaky ester. The bittering is very smooth and somewhat mellow. There is a distinct apple-like note which reminds me of half-dried apple peel rather than fresh apples. Imagine if you took a crabapple that was slightly decayed after falling off the tree and touched just the outer skin. There is also a very faint pear note that is more of a secondary aroma. I could also distinguish a somewhat herby complexity much like the same herby, dank, and garlicky notes that some find from Nugget hops.

I also brewed a fresh hopped Imperial IPA using a pound of wet Simcoe hops and an ounce of dried Calypso for bittering where all the fresh hops were added with 15 minutes or less in the boil. This is an outstanding beer and the bittering is very very smooth.

I am looking forward to blending this hop with some English Challenger hops in an ordinary bitter or even a draught pub ale. I am also glad to have a pound of these so that I can utilize their smooth bittering for my pumpkin ale, mocha imperial stout, and add some to my normal apa to add complexity.

On Draft: All-Calypso APA, German Pilsener, Coffee-Cocoa Nib Stout, American Amber Ale
On-Deck: Imperial Chai Tea Brown Ale, Big Bock B*tch, something funky and belgian

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #97
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Where do you get wet simcoe hops!?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #98
22415 Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pear View Post
Where do you get wet simcoe hops!?
Fortunately I was able to order the wet simcoe from my LHBS. I used the entire pound for a single batch and am freakin proud of it! It's probably my best IIPA yet considering that my last IIPA was a brewer's choice beer in a local homebrew comp.

They went real nice in the 9.1% abv IIPA however I must say that the Calypso hops lended an inexpensive, unique, and very smooth bittering component.

In fact I just had a pint of the IIPA and am now sipping on the all-Calypso pale ale. There is a distinct and very obvious apple peel aroma from the Calypso hops, it's almost cider-like but not really. I know it's not a fermentation flaw because of measured steady ferment temps. Again, I am looking forward to blending this hop with some English Challengers for an ordinary bitter.
On Draft: All-Calypso APA, German Pilsener, Coffee-Cocoa Nib Stout, American Amber Ale
On-Deck: Imperial Chai Tea Brown Ale, Big Bock B*tch, something funky and belgian

Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #99
22415 Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wanted to update tasting notes for the all Calypso APA after it has cold conditioned for the past two months.

There are now very strong bruised apple-like aromas. The pear notes are still there as well as a delicate floral quality. Again as I noted in a previous post, the bitterness is quite smooth.

I'm currently kegging an english pale ale that features Calypso as the bittering hop with Challenger and 1st Gold as aroma hops and am interested to see how the Calypso will influence the marmalade-like Challengers.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #100
Christ872
Recipes 

I put it in a Belgian Pale Ale that I brewed on 10/6. I bottled on 10/27. I used this as a flavor/aroma addition. My ABV is 5.6% so i may try the first one about the 12/8 or 12/15 weekend.

Quick Reply