HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Calling All Wheat/Fruit Beer Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #21
nodfera2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think the yeast will do just fine...

This past week, I racked my wheat into a secondary with a portion of blueberry puree. For about 48 hours after racking, there was a slight spike in fermentation, which has since faded.

Personally, I enjoy the method where you add the fruit into the secondary fermentation part of the process---it just seems easier. I would also recommend racking into a tertiary fermentor, which will help settle the beer before bottling/kegging. 7 days in secondary and 7 days in tertiary has worked for me, but the duration will depend on the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
heinz57
Recipes 

Sorry about the delayed post, nobody had posted anything for awhile, so I was waiting it out to see if the head retention plumped up....which it hasn't.

The yeast did fine, beer is a nice orange color, a lot of mango aroma, but because it's a relatively mild fruit the flavor is not over powering, and it still tastes like a nice wheat.

What I still can't figure out is what happened to the head retention. I've had other types of fruit beer, raspberry, apricot, etc., but they always had decent retention. The retention on my version has about a 10 second lifespan and then dies. In fact, after about a minute it looks almost like drinking fizzy mango juice. I don't believe it's my kegging set-up, every other beer I've made has had medium good retention. I believe it's either the fact that I used a puree instead of whole fruit or mangoes just have some inherent head retention murdering capability. I'm thinking about doing another batch with whole fruit to see if there is a difference.

People really enjoy this beer thus far, but I would really like to pin point what's deteriorating the head retention.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #23
medic4963
Recipes 

What about Adding carafoam/cara-pils to the recipe for added head retention?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hopefully, after 6 years of brewing, he's solved the head retention problem.

Quick Reply