Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Calling All Wheat/Fruit Beer Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
BeanPot Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I did a mango last year - although I hedged my bets and did a split 5-gal batch.
I added about three ripe fresh mangos, mashed up, into the 3-gal secondary and let sit for about a month. I'd have to check my notes, but I think I used a basic, Wyeast, american style yeast, which was good because the mongo flavor is subtle and you don't want to overpower it.
I plan on doing a 5-gal batch next month with basically the same recipe; although I plan on adding a little moer mango and maybe some orange peel for last 5-min of boil to give it a slight twang.
Good luck. Let us know how she turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd recommend heating it up to 160 or so for 15 minutes to kill the bugs, then give it a slight mash with the potato masher device and put into bucket.

use a bucket - easier to get the bits out of when it's time to clean it.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #13
heinz57
Recipes 

The only thing I have on hand is a blender. Will that do the trick or is it strictly a smashed effect that is recommended?

I took a listen to Jamil's podcast and it was pretty informative. The more interesting part of the show was when he discussed his experiment with extract, puree, and whole fruit from the same 10 gallon robust porter. He said in the end the puree was the best choice, which makes sense since it is already sanitized and smashed as seems to be the most desirable form of fruit.

He also mentioned that adding to the primary is one of the worst places to add fruit in any form, and he wasn't too enthusiastic about adding fruit in a heated environment, read in the boil/mash. The only fruit he discussed that can be mashed is pumpkin, but that is because of its starchy nature.

I'm going to do some looking around to see if I can find any food suppliers that sell a mango puree.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
heinz57
Recipes 

Default Finally Brewed It

Well, after a months worth of doing other brewing related things, I finally made this.

Grain bill is same as original post, the changes are in the yeast and the way the fruit will be added.

I ended up using the yeast cake from a Kolsch (WLP029) I brewed in January. I was originally going to use either 1762 or 3787, but they were both pretty dark beers, and I didn't want to up the SRM.

After searching and calling around I found a nice enough chef who says he knows how to get a mango puree, and since that's Jamil's most recommended way to add fruit to beer, I plan on doing that. I'm not sure of the brand/price of the puree yet, but once I get that info I'll post it here.

I'll let the beer sit in primary for a week or so before adding the fruit. I have a feeling fermentation will be pretty quick since it was added directly to the yeast cake.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out when finished.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #15
heinz57
Recipes 

Default Update 1: Mango Added

It's been about a week, and the wheat beer went from 1.053 to 1.009. Checked yesterday, and then this morning and I was comfortable enough to rack it.

SWMBO's uncle is one of the head chef's at a cuban restaurant in Burbank/Glendale called Porto's and they make a killer mango mousse. I asked him where they get the mangoes and it turns out they use a nice frozen puree. I also asked him if it was really pricey but he said not to worry, he could get me about six pounds as long as he'd get some of the final product, not a problem. I guess in actuality I have no idea how much the puree really costs...and that's probably for the best.

Went to Porto's and picked up the mango puree and man did it smell good. Got it home put it in a 5 gallon pot, added some hot water and brought it up to about 150 for 5-10 minutes, quickly cooled it, poured it in the ale pale, and racked the wheat beer on top.

So far so good. The wheat alone tasted like a good base beer,nothing special aside from the clean flavor profile of the Kolsch yeast. Hopefully the mango meshes well.

For now I'll secondary for about two weeks, keg, and then enjoy. I'll post again with the results of the final product.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Sounds phenomenal. I will continue lurking.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are awesome. My little brother is an executive chef, I never even tought of asking him. He said he can add me to his weekly orders as needed. I should get additional buckets from him too.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #18
heinz57
Recipes 

Default Update

Finally kegged the beer this weekend. Smelled fantastic. A lot more mango aroma than I had anticipated, and that's not a bad thing.

It's been sitting on the gas a few days now, and I poured a small sample glass to see how it was turning out.

It is carbonating well, but still needs some time to sit on the gas. There was zero head retention though. I'm assuming this was killed from the mango puree. Normally anything I've ever made with wheat always has a decent amount of head retention. Anybody have an idea what happened?

It's really orange as well, my guess is maybe 6 lbs of the puree was a bit too much. Because it was a little flat and there lacked any head retention, it looked like I was drinking a bubbly mango juice. I'll get a picture up soon. Scaling down a pound or two doesn't seem unreasonable for a future recipe.

The flavor seems to be spot on with my expectations. The mango flavor is definitely not as subtle as I had anticipated, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I didn't really detect any specific differences from using the Kolsch yeast, but the mango could be masking the effects. It's still early so we'll see how this matures over the next few weeks.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #19
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Also as a purist for German-style hefe weizen beers I would not use a German yeast for the wheat, go American this time...IMO.
Ja, Richtig! Kein Obst in Bier!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
DSV
Recipes 

heinz57, any updates on this attempt. I came up with the same idea. My beer has been in the primary for a week now and I'm going to be adding mango puree as well. I'm slightly nervous that the yeast in the secondary would be able to handle the sugar influx from the puree. I don't want to end up with a beer flavored mango syrup. Would chunk fruit be a better way to go here?

Quick Reply