Cali Common recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a cali-common partial mash recipe I'd like some input on. It's based mostly on the appropriate style chapter in "Designing Great Beers" (Ray Daniels) and Jamil's Cali common recipe. I got the malts from brewmaster's warehouse, so they are all crushed and mixed together already. I can't remove anything, but your input for next time is appreciated. The hops are up for grabs. I like the idea of getting at least 1/3rd of my IBUs at 5 mins, to really showcase the NB hops with a bit of cascade for good measure. Part of me wants to go all 'hop burst' on it and get more like 25-30 IBUs late in the boil, but would this be too much hop aroma for this beer? Have I already gone overboard?

Style: California Common
Type: Partial mash Size: 6 gallons
Color:
19 HCU (~11 SRM)
Bitterness: 45 IBU
OG: 1.050 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 4.9% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 5 lb. American 2-row
12 oz. American victory
10 oz. American crystal 90L
4 oz. American crystal 40L
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.074 4 gallons
3 lb 3 oz. Light malt extract (Added at 10 mins)
Hops: .75 oz. Cascade (6.4% AA, 60 min.) (15 IBU)
.5 oz. Northern Brewer (9.4% AA, 60 min.) (15 IBU)
.5 oz. Cascade (6.4% AA, 5 min.) (5 IBU)
2 oz. Northern Brewer (9.4% AA, 5 min.) (10 IBU)
.5 oz. Northern Brewer (aroma)

Ferment with Wyeast 2112 (California Lager) @ 61F for 3 days, increase to 65 by ~1 deg per day hold until bottling.

I'd move an addition to 15-20 min to get a flavor hop addition. Maybe .5 oz N Brewer from 5 min and .25-.5 oz cascade from 60 min. Whatever it takes to get the IBUs where you want them.

Just an update; here's the recipe I ended up making:

(same malt as above)
Hops:
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 mins
0.5 Oz Cascade and 1.75 oz NB @ 15 mins
0.75 oz Cascade and 0.75 oz NB @ 5 mins

Mashed at 152 for 45 mins
Hit my OG of 1.050
Fermented at 62 F with a gradual rise to 64F
Finished at 1.012

This came out awesome! The cascades are a nice twist on the classic all NB California common. They play nicely together, but the NB is still the star of the show. I'll be brewing this one again, perhaps with a small NB dry hop.

Cheers!

Back