Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Calculating IBU's with BeerSmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
smalltown2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calculating IBU's with BeerSmith

So I'm curious how many people put their recipe into BeerSmith, print it out and brew and call it good, or do people type in the exact alpha acids for each hop, not the standard AA's they give you in the program, but the AA's off of the package of hops? Also, does anyone go to the hop age option in Beer Smith, and calculate the age of hops, the way they are packaged, and see how much the AA's have decreased, and then use THAT value (which is significantly lower if not using fresh hops) in calculating the IBU's for the beer. The last beer I brewed, I was trying it out, and then saw how complex it could be estimating the exact IBU's, and wondered if I should have been taking the age of hops into consideration before just throwing them in and calling it good. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to Tools - Options - Bitterness, and change it to Rager or Garetz and see how completely different the numbers are. They are all just estimates, it's next to impossible to accurately estimate the amount of IBUs with any formula. Get used to one formula and how it tastes with beers you make on your system, and go from there, but the numbers are just guesses.

That said, I do change the AA% numbers, but never mess w/ the age.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
That said, I do change the AA% numbers, but never mess w/ the age.
That's what I do, also.

Quick Reply