New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cafe Orzo "The Italian Caffeine Free Alternative"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
eulipion2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cafe Orzo "The Italian Caffeine Free Alternative"

Has anyone tried Cafe Orzo coffee substitute? It's roasted barley ground and brewed like coffee.

It's about $9 for 12 ounces and tastes almost like a weak wort. Of course, I put 'espresso grind' into a French press, and when I went to empty it there was still a lot of dry grains, so I need to give it another go.

Has anyone else tried it? Anyone tried brewing with it?

On-Deck: Grodziskie; Session IPA; Saison Americaine; Mosaic Pilsner

Kegged: Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't tried it, but don't plan to either. It may be tasty if mixed with actual coffee - not sure. When I want coffee, I want coffee.

As for brewing - wouldn't it be the same as finely crushed roast barley?

Let us know how your tasting experiments go!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Haven't tried that one, but roasted barley is known for it's coffee-like characteristics and it's much, much cheaper.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
eulipion2
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, even brewed properly it tastes kinda like wort, but you do get some of the roasty, coffee-like flavors. I still prefer coffee, but it's drinkable. It'd be a lot cheaper to just get some from a homebrew shop and grind it yourself. That way you could get different roasts.

On-Deck: Grodziskie; Session IPA; Saison Americaine; Mosaic Pilsner

Kegged: Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Maybe I'll try some chocolate malt for giggles.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
rodrigobologna
Recipes 

Hey guys, this thread came in really handy, cause I'm planing an AG with a dry stout recipe that calls for flaked barley, roasted barley, and acidulated malt.

I'm in brazil and having a lot of problems to find the right ingredients. the LHBS (local meaning national LOL) carrys brazilian grown/malted pilsner for base and acidulated.

I found flaked on a few healthy food shops, but the only thing I've found for roasted barley is one brand they sell as a caffeine free coffee substitute. it is really fine ground. it is probably totaly soluble in water. I dont really know if it is gonna work, but that's my only choice. my question is, should I just toss it in the mash? or the boil? if I throw it in the mash, should I get some rice hulls? help me out guys!!!

brazilian homebrewers have been making stouts with pilsner, caraaroma and carafa III, but I am really looking foward to follow the traditional 70-20-10 of a dry stout. (it's my fist stout)

Thank you

Last edited by rodrigobologna; 08-13-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigobologna View Post
Hey guys, this thread came in really handy, cause I'm planing an AG with a dry stout recipe that calls for flaked barley, roasted barley, and acidulated malt.

I'm in brazil and having a lot of problems to find the right ingredients. the LHBS (local meaning national LOL) carrys brazilian grown/malted pilsner for base and acidulated.

I found flaked on a few healthy food shops, but the only thing I've found for roasted barley is one brand they sell as a caffeine free coffee substitute. it is really fine ground. it is probably totaly soluble in water. I dont really know if it is gonna work, but that's my only choice. my question is, should I just toss it in the mash? or the boil? if I throw it in the mash, should I get some rice hulls? help me out guys!!!

brazilian homebrewers have been making stouts with pilsner, caraaroma and carafa III, but I am really looking foward to follow the traditional 70-20-10 of a dry stout. (it's my fist stout)

Thank you
Could you add it to a muslin tea bag in the mash?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I haven't had that per se, but I have had mugicha, which is roasted barley that's then ground and made into a tea. Very common in Japan, we drink it all the time in my house. Wikipedia link.

Sounds like almost the same thing.

Also mugicha appears to be much cheaper than the orzo stuff. At least at my local Japanese markets I can get mugicha for pretty cheap. I've considered brewing with it but haven't really come up with a recipe to showcase it yet.

Last edited by weirdboy; 08-13-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
arturo7

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1

rodrigo, add the roast barley to the mash.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
rodrigobologna
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
Could you add it to a muslin tea bag in the mash?
Well I can do that. Like I said, LHBS lacks a lot of stuff we have in us. I'd need to make one, so my question is: is it really necessary? Don't you think the grain bed would do the trick? Just a though ... Thank you

Quick Reply