Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > cactus apple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
kmoo1302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cactus apple

as I am fairly new to the brewing addiction I wanted to do a fruit addition to my next brew( maybe a hefe, or Belgian). I live in so-cal and there is an abundance of cactus apples in and around my area, so I thought "why not". has anyone tried using this fruit before? Its flavor is rather mild, so would it actually come thru in a beer? I havent made it to ag , so it will prob. be a partial.thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've never done it, but have been thinking about it for years now. Today on my ride to work I rode past at least 5 Cacti completely full of prickly pears. I think you would be on the right track to use them in a Heff, or a wheat beer of sorts, the tart acidity of the fruit would be good with them. Or a wise style sour beer would be excellent too.

I might have to raid some of these Cacti and get a few lbs for a pure, and freeze it for later. too many beers in the pipeline for me, but I'd like to hear about your experiences with them if you try some thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply