Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cacao Nibs: How to prepare for secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
Ziggybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was interested in the cocoa nib info but now I'm dreaming and salivating over some banana bread ale

Thanks a lot Zman, now I'm obsessed with that idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
Bill33525
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Banana Bread Ale

Does sound delicious but how about Banana Bread Stout! WOW!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
This is how I did it.

Put them in a coffee grinder and busted them up a bit. I know they are already cracked, but I thought this might extract more of the stuff from the center. Roasted in a 350 oven for about 30 min.

I brewed a Russian Imperial stout with these back in January of 2008. Just had the last bottle a few months ago. Cocoa flavor was still very noticeable.
I tried this and ruined my nibs. I very roughly crushed them in a mortar and pestle and put them in the oven at 350 for about 15min. I took them out and they were a little smoky... tasted like burnt popcorn, very gross... and I love the flavor of nibs on their own.

I went out and bought another can of nibs (goodbye $10) and am soaking them in vodka overnight instead. I can't say I'm shocked as nibs are already roasted but I figured it'd work to sanitize them... typically they're roasted at a low temperature to preserve as much of that nutty fruity chocolate character as possible as well. I think the vodka method will be more flavorful anyhow.

Just thought I'd post my experience in case it helps anyone.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #24
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just got a bag of nibs. Man.... They taste terrible! People put these in beer?

Anyway...

What's a good amount to add to secondary in an Imperial (8.3%) stout? I was thinking the whole 8 oz but I see people are having luck with 4?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #25
punkmanadz
Recipes 

Whole foods market bulk section is a gem for cacao nibs as you can get them by the pound instead of buying a whole bag.I got 4oz for about $3 Just started soaking them in Vodka. I'm assuming they should be soaked at room temperature?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmanadz View Post
I'm assuming they should be soaked at room temperature?
yup, room temp is good. you could throw them in the fridge if you wanted, but room temp will likely aid with extraction. i wouldn't heat them about ambient temp tho.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
cipy620
Recipes 

Soaking mine in some grey good right now. I hope this works well! I also sanitized my glass measuring cup as an extra precaution.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
cipy620
Recipes 

Default Microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
yup, room temp is good. you could throw them in the fridge if you wanted, but room temp will likely aid with extraction. i wouldn't heat them about ambient temp tho.
My vodka was in the freezer, so I covered my nib-vodka concaction with some plastic wrap (in a glass measuring cup) and microwaved for about 40 seconds: a little warmer than room temp.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If it's a sealed package, why would you feel the need to "do" anything to them? They're meant to be eaten. We don't sanitize every bit of food we consume do we? We figure there's some level of sanitization involved in the food preparation industry, right? And these are food, right? So why would anyone feel that the contents of a SEALED package needs to be handled in any special way. I could understand if they were sitting in a jar or it was an opened bag, that there might be some concern, but a SEALED package?

I did spray the package and the scissors I opened them with with some sanitiser, but I just dumped them directly into my fermenter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
cipy620
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
I tried this and ruined my nibs. I very roughly crushed them in a mortar and pestle and put them in the oven at 350 for about 15min. I took them out and they were a little smoky... tasted like burnt popcorn, very gross... and I love the flavor of nibs on their own.

I went out and bought another can of nibs (goodbye $10) and am soaking them in vodka overnight instead. I can't say I'm shocked as nibs are already roasted but I figured it'd work to sanitize them... typically they're roasted at a low temperature to preserve as much of that nutty fruity chocolate character as possible as well. I think the vodka method will be more flavorful anyhow.

Just thought I'd post my experience in case it helps anyone.
Suggestion: Consult with your brew shop when in doubt. My experience is they love helping and they are a quick phone call away. Better than ruining a batch of nips, or worse, 5 gallons of beer and hours of your time.

Quick Reply