Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Buying Hops

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,600
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Buying Hops

I was looking around Feshops website and realized how much cheaper these hops were compared to other places. I figure, I have a fridge and access to equipment to vacuum seal bags, so why not buy in bulk?

I have a couple questions though:

1. Freshops sells whole hops. Are these the same as, in the amounts needed, "leaf hops"? (i.e. you don't need more whole hops as compared to leaf hops)
2. If I can package, purge with CO2, and vacuum most of the air out, stick them in something that blocks light and put them in the fridge, they will keep for a while, right?
3. Even with the higher shipping cost, Freshops beats the price at AHS, am I missing something?

__________________
Beerrific is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, SoCal
Posts: 1,372
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Not sure on leaf vs. fresh, but I have heard nothing but good things about that site. They will last for up to a year in FREEZER--not fridge. Especially if you have a food saver type thing.

__________________
Kayos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,767
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I was looking around Feshops website and realized how much cheaper these hops were compared to other places. I figure, I have a fridge and access to equipment to vacuum seal bags, so why not buy in bulk?

I have a couple questions though:

1. Freshops sells whole hops. Are these the same as, in the amounts needed, "leaf hops"? (i.e. you don't need more whole hops as compared to leaf hops)
2. If I can package, purge with CO2, and vacuum most of the air out, stick them in something that blocks light and put them in the fridge, they will keep for a while, right?
3. Even with the higher shipping cost, Freshops beats the price at AHS, am I missing something?

1. Whole hops and "leaf" hops should be the same thing.
2. Yes
3. AHS? Probably cheaper than your local HBS.
__________________

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Denny's Evil Concoctions is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,600
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Yeah, I meant freezer.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheaper than Austin Hombrew Supply, much cheaper than LHBS.

Only problem I see is that they have limited varieties available. I assume they have just sold out and will have new ones in with this year's the hop crop (August?). I may wait and buy then. Plus, I can hardly tell you what I am going to do tomorrow much less what I want to brew in 4 months .

__________________
Beerrific is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

Leaf hops is a misnomer, the hops are actually the flowers. But the terms leaf & whole are also used. You are probably think of the 10% increase you have to make going from pellets/plugs to whole. [Note: magnum hops will have tiny leafs in them]

"Fresh hops" is generally reserved for hops that haven't been dried. They are only available locally and only during harvest, unless you buy a lot & airfreight them. They go weird quickly. In the last couple years, single hop ales (mainly IPAs) made from fresh hops have become popular out here.

There was a big warehouse fire last fall and some hops are in short supply.

What I do is bulk buy from Dave right after the August harvest, then freeze everything. May not have to buy much this year, my hop garden is finally looking good.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk


Last edited by david_42; 06-17-2007 at 01:33 PM.
david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,600
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
"Fresh hops" is generally reserved for hops that haven't been dried. They are only available locally and only during harvest, unless you buy a lot & airfreight them. They go weird quickly. In the last couple years, single hop ales (mainly IPAs) made from fresh hops have become popular out here.
So, the company Freshops sells dried whole hop flowers that can be used in recipes that call for "leaf hops" and can replace pellets if increased by about 10%. Being that I live in Georgia, I will probably never deal with real "fresh hops." I think I've got it.

What varieties does Freshops (the company) usually offer after the harvest? I may wait until then and really stock up later this year.

Thanks!
__________________
Beerrific is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific

What varieties does Freshops (the company) usually offer after the harvest? I may wait until then and really stock up later this year.

Thanks!

If you want to try new varieties freshops is the way to go. If you know what variety you want then hopsdirect sells is per lb for less than $10 roughly (of course they may or may not have the variety you want). Keep in mind you still have shipping costs, so usually when working with freshops it is better to buy more than less as it gets proportionally cheaper somewhat.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Bulk Hops Badger39 Recipes/Ingredients 5 10-15-2013 03:43 PM
Buying Hops ... How old is to old? CircleC-Brewer General Beer Discussion 4 08-18-2009 02:28 AM
Buying hops Bob869007 General Beer Discussion 12 11-08-2008 08:11 PM
Buying hops in bulk... Bulls Beers Hops Growing 5 11-04-2008 10:05 PM
Is anyone else buying hops in bulk? Poindexter General Beer Discussion 31 11-01-2007 12:56 AM