Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BUY THIS BOOK - period

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Default BUY THIS BOOK - period

In want of something to read on a trip I grabbed Ray Daniel's "Designing Great Beers" off my book shelf. On the flight I opened it up and rediscovered what in my opinion is the best brewers resource out there. If you have not bought a copy, do so today. It is absolutely fantastic, especially if you wish to design your own brew with confidence.

Ray discusses the fundamentals of brewing, provides indepth details on its primary elements, and then applies that information to all the major beer styles. I am once again simply amazed at the effort that went into this resource and am glad it is in my bookcase.

The book gives you all the background, science and recommendations you could want and it gives them in a way that is easy to read and understand. Again, my recommendation is to buy this book and give your brewing a shot in the arm. It is generally about $24 but I have seen it for around $16 on the net.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I second this. Designing Great Beers is one of only two brewing books that I own (papazian is the other), and it is DEFINATELY the one I have my nose in the most. I love the history Ray provides for each style and the way he presents commonality of various ingredients in award winning (or top placing) beers from major constests of that style.

It's a great way to form a base recipe for something and then start tweaking from there.

Fantastic resource.

-walker

Old 03-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
mpetty
Recipes 

Just like Walker, I only own this and the Complete Joy. Designing Great Beers is simply the best resource anyone can purchase to help them understand just exactly what each of the ingredients and how you use them affects the beer.

Primary: What Ale experiment with a friend (10-gallon batch, two fermenters, two yeasts: American Hefeweizen and plain Hefeweizen)
Secondary: None
Bottled Yellow Dog Ale | Oatmeal Stout (1st mini-mash) | Cider: Plain Apple Juice | American Amber Ale| California Common, American Pale Ale
Up next: Extra Special Bitter and another spiced cider

Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have it, but sounds like I am going to have it soon! thx for the notice on this.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 03-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
JimiGibbs

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Based on these great recommendations I just ordered it .... Also ordered the Papazian book which I have been wanting for a while. I already have How to Brew by Palmer which I have found very useful in starting out. Best of all I got both of them delivered from A for $25.
Jimi

Old 03-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Great endorsement!
I've been looking for the right books to begin my brewing library.

Maybe one of the mods should move this one to the newly formed "Product Reviews" forum??

Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This book occupies a permanent position on my bedstand (though I occasionally find it in the head or garage). It's interesting to read even if you don't have any specific recipe formulation in mind.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ditto everything above. i really like the in depth histories he provides for each beer style, then the breakdown of award winning homebrews per style.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I purchased this and Noonan's New Lager Brewing book off recommendations on another thread I saw here recently. It's funny this should come up today. I've had it about three weeks and I've read various parts during brew sessions and really enjoyed it. But today, I actually brought it with me to work and plan to read it cover-to-cover during my lunch hours and in the evenings!

Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own 5 or 6 brewing books and read most of Papazian. Papazian didn't really help me that much because I read it after I had already been brewing for awhile and understood most of what he said. I think Papazian is more of a beginner's book and once you understand the general fundamentals it doesn't really help you that much anymore. Oh, and I learned my fundamentals from the Brewmaster's Bible (it was on sale at Hastings for like $2).

Back to the topic, I got Designing Great Beers about a year or two ago when I decided to give Stone's 04.04.04 a whirl and needed to be able to create a recipe from the information given. The book is friggin great. It took my brewing and understanding of brewing to the next level. I love it and use it in some form or another every time I brew. Its a must have.

Quick Reply