Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Butterbeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Default Butterbeer

Ok, I know what you're thinking... A friend of mine is having a birthday coming up and she is a bit of a harry potter nut (at this age, yeah, I know, it's unhealthy). So I thought, why not make something that's related to this series. well, as a brewer, some homebrew make total sense, and so spawns Butterbeer! Described as sweet, caramely, and buttery I set out to make something that might turn out ok. I started with a cream ale mixed with a braggot, and went from there. this is a 5gallon batch but I'm going to probably scale it in half, as it might turn out horrible. 65% eff, 90min boil.

2.5# Pilsner (UK)
10oz Carapils
10oz Crystal 10L
10oz Crystal 20L
5oz lactose
5# clover honey
4oz pure vanilla extract (trader joes)
.25oz EKG @90

yeast is the ringwood strain, fermented higher (74) to get some diacetyl for the butter

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.016

Thoughts? comments? I'm kinda in new territory here so I'm not quite sure on some of the lighter crystals, I usually use darker ones.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe worth a read?:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/harry-potter-butterbeer-28094/

Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Hey waitaminute!!! Wait a dayum minute. Harry Potter fanhood is universal....I know, I am one.

Mmmmm butterbeer.

Hope this turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hey waitaminute!!! Wait a dayum minute. Harry Potter fanhood is universal....I know, I am one.

Mmmmm butterbeer.

Hope this turns out.

I'll be brewin it when an extra fermenter opens up, probably in 2 weeks once finals are over
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If this were me I might go just a bit darker (40 or 60?) on the crystal to get a bit more caramel flavor into the beer. You just might want to watch the SRMs if you start going with 60L. This experiment sounds excellent, please report back.

Here is some description of malts by lovibond rating:
The Foampage - Malts

Last edited by nealf; 12-05-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

i like the idea of diacetyl instead of using some kind of extract. diacetyl is tricky tho, you have to do it right.

my irish rye stout recipe (in my pulldown) has a fair amount of diacetyl in it that really compliments the brew. it was a wonderful accident

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
If this were me I might go just a bit darker (40 or 60?) on the crystal to get a bit more caramel flavor into the beer. You just might want to watch the SRMs if you start going with 60L. This experiment sounds excellent, please report back.

Here is some description of malts by lovibond rating:
The Foampage - Malts
So more like:
2.5# pilsner
10oz carapils
10oz Crystal 20L
5oz Crystal 40L

sound better?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
So more like:
2.5# pilsner
10oz carapils
10oz Crystal 20L
5oz Crystal 40L

sound better?
I suppose it kind of depends on how much caramel flavor you're shooting for in the beer. That is probably more like what I would put together though. Either way, let me know how it turns out... Sounds like a cool idea.

edit:
Is ringwood yeast known for producing Diacetyl at higher temperatures? I'm not too familiar with ringwood and thought higher temps usually led to esther production.

Last edited by nealf; 12-05-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: edit!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Ringwood will form diacetyl at any temperature. Famous for it. You don't need to ferment it warmer; it'll throw off diacetyl all by its lonesome! What you can do is rack it off the cake just as primary fermentation ceases, before it has a chance to go through a diacetyl rest. That should cause the flavor to remain.

Ringwood is a Yorkshire strain, right alongside strains in use by breweries which I will not name but whose initials start with Samuel Smith's and Theakston's. The "stone square" method tends to develop powdery strains that emphasize malt and diacetyl.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Update on this:

I bottled this today, using this recipe (one gallon batch):

1# honey
10oz 6-row
3oz carapils
2oz crystal 20
2oz crystal 40
1oz british ranged crystal (70, approx)
Yeast: WLP005 (ringwood strain)

Mashed at 155 for 60 mins, sparged, brought to boil then cooled (no hops, so no real reason to do a prolonged boil that I could see). Racked @ day five onto 1.5TBS pure vanilla extract and 1oz lactose. Bottled today, after fermentation rested at 1.028 for a bit. from the hydrometer sample, it's darn sweet, just on the edge of cloying, like an Italian soda or something, not too much butter though, I'll have to experiment with that some more.

Last edited by Freezeblade; 01-01-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply