Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bulk grain from Midwest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bulk grain from Midwest

So who has ordered bulk grain from Midwest? Are you happy with what you get, with their customer service?

I ask because I'll be making my first bulk purchase soon and after gathering pricing on the same order from Midwest and AHS (B3 and NB both fell off of my radar very quickly either due to high shipping costs or high malt costs/malt availability) I've determined that I can get the same order from either place and the prices are almost identical with shipping. The difference is that from Midwest I'm getting a 50# sack vs. a 40# sack that AHS has.

10# of Pale Malt = most of what I need for batch of my APA. I've been a longtime customer of AHS and am very pleased with what I get from them, but if I can change vendors and basically get a free batch of brew out of it I'll do it.

Please share your opinions and experiences with Midwest - good, bad or otherwise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
StankAle

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

BAD!!!
I received a shipment from them and my invoice had the following written on it:
"Check to see if this As*hole still wants to cancel the order."

And on top of that the order was wrong!
I called and told Midwest to wait on the order because it had been over a week and I still hadn't received the package or a shipping notice via email. I wasn't sure I was going to be around to use the stuff I bought.
I had them send the package after all and found that lovely message on my invoice.
Needless to say I called them to correct my order and to "notify" the manager about my problem.
Looking back on it I have to laugh, but I guarantee Midwest will never see another dime from me.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Last week I ordered about 60 lbs of various grains from Midwest. I ordered on Monday and it was delivered on Thursday (granted, I'm only 80 miles from them, so it gets here in one day). Everything was correct and I'll definitely be ordering from them again.

I can buy 10lb of flaked grains for $1/lb and it's $2.29/lb at my LHBS. The reduced price on 10lbs of flaked wheat made up for the shipping cost. I'm not sure what the price of shipping a 50lb sack is though, because I drove the 80 miles to midwest to pick up 2 sacks last time.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Franzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the Midwest guys. I've ordered from them plenty of times and always happy with the timeliness and no mistakes. They package everything well. Their prices (including shipping) are better than the nearest place to me here in CT.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have always ordered my ingredients from Midwest, and they've always been great for customer service. Orders will usually ship in about a day and arrive about two days later. You can't beat that. Their milling is consistently good and I can't argue with getting 10 lbs. of pale malt for $8.50. In fact, I once had to change an order of mine before it shipped because I changed my recipe. They added the extra Belgian biscuit malt I needed and made a note of it on the order. When I called up to see if I should pay for that extra malt on my next order, the guy on the phone said it wouldn't be necessary. Very courteous and prompt.

And no, I don't get paid by them. I just know what I like and they have the best prices I've shopped for.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I've had exceptional service from them. Bulk and otherwise.

Several times when they were out of a particular yeast they upgraded me for no charge. THey are also good about contacting you on your cell phone if there is confusion about the order.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
idkid
Recipes 

I don't think I've ever ordered from Midwest. But since you are in Ohio, have you tried the Grape and Granary out of Akron. I have used them almost exclusively. I used to live in So. Ohio and if I ordered by noon, my order was on my doorstep the next day. The customer service has always been fantastic for me. I compared prices with shipping and there's only like a 2-3 dollars difference. So that might be another option for you. Their website is thegrape.net . For what its worth.

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am fortunate, I can drive by their place, and get whatever I need, whenever I need it. It's on my way home from work. I also like that they are open 7 days a week, for the hardcore brewer, or if you are in the middle of a brew, and need something right away.

I have always had really good luck with their service, and I can get whatever I need, literally at a moments notice, since they are only about 10 miles from my house.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkid
I don't think I've ever ordered from Midwest. But since you are in Ohio, have you tried the Grape and Granary out of Akron. I have used them almost exclusively. I used to live in So. Ohio and if I ordered by noon, my order was on my doorstep the next day. The customer service has always been fantastic for me. I compared prices with shipping and there's only like a 2-3 dollars difference. So that might be another option for you. Their website is thegrape.net . For what its worth.
I havn't ordered bulk from the Grape and Granary (get that from my LHBS) but I do order most of my specialty grains and other odds and ends from them. Have always gotten quick and accurate shipment. Their prices appear to be competitive and selection is good. If you are in driving distance you could probably save a bundle by picking it up in person.

As for Midwest, I've order from them a couple of times with no problem.

Craig

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never had a problem with midwest. I order my bulk DME from them all the time. I won't go anywhere else.

As far as "Check to see if this As*hole still wants to cancel the order." goes it looks like someone there knows you...just kidding. (You know someone had to say it. )

Quick Reply