Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - Budget Summer India Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #21
dirty_martini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
10 Barrel in Bend, OR is doing a lower ABV IPA, and calling it an ISA (India-Style Session Ale).
Drakes from NorCal made a beer called Alpha Sessions last year. 3.8%abv and 80ish Ibus. It was amazing. I called it a California lite beer.

That said, IPAs can be made for cheap if you use your ingredients wisely.

1.Use mostly base malt. It tends to be cheaper than specialty malts. Use just enough specialty malts to get the job done. No more.

2. Have a good high alpha bittering hop. I like summits for example. At 16-18%AA, you dont have to use much to get you the bitterness you need.

3. Account for 4oz of hops to divide between late boil and dry hop. That should only cost around $8.

4. Use dry yeast. US-05, s-04, or nottingham are all good for IPAs and half the price of liquid yeast. You also dont need any extract to make a starter with. Pitch and go.

5. Go a little lower in ABV and IBU. There are plenty of great IPAs on the lower end around 6% and 60-65IBUs.

Ill use Austin Homebrew as a baseline for pricing a simple recipe.

13lb 2-row @ $1.35/lb = $17.55
1oz Carafa III Debittered (just to give a little color, but not necessary) = $.85

1oz Summit 60min 18%AA = $1.99
2oz if any hops you want @ flameout = $3.98
2oz for dryhopping = $3.98

1pack US-05 = $3.49

OG - 1.064
FG - 1.012
ABV - 6.9%
IBU - 63

total cost - $31.84
$6.37/gal of beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Alright, well went to a different brew shop than I usually go to because I was in the area (luckily will move closer to this area so will be my main place). I picked up all the ingredients... and an extra oz of centennial (for all the haters out there), a muslim bag, extra pound of dextrose for a grand total of... $20

1 oz Magnum 60min
.5 oz centennial 40min
.5 oz centennial 15min
1 oz cascade dryhopped leaf

OG - 1.065
FG - 1.017 (depending on yeast retained)
ABV - 6.5%*
IBU - 60.1

Total cost - $20 (- priming sugar and muslim bag less)

5 gallons of beer

***Just to note, I'm not going to banter about previous dialogue pertaining to what constitutes a "hoppy" beer (seems to me that even late additions of nonetheless "hops" would make a beer thicker and hoppy...) Although remaining within guidelines of referenced brewing material and being told... it is what it is not, no further sourced citations of any credibility besides attacking one area of my recipe while further being told that I'm rude for defending BJCP style guidelines and definitions of the like ... I'll just swallow it

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #23
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

don't really want to cross hairs... but "added late during a boil" wouldn't be qualitative. In statistics qualitative means data that cannot be categorized mathematically only by categories of opinionized value. Because the value of bittering can be mathematically figured by the AA and time... yada yada

I don't know I guess from my perspective without numerical value, a beer would mainly be only biased opinionized banter.

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT View Post
...Because the value of bittering can be mathematically figured by the AA and time...
Which would be a good point, except I'm not referring to the value of bittering, but rather the flavor and aroma contributions, which cannot be mathematically expressed.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #25
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
(seems to me that even late additions of nonetheless "hops" would make a beer thicker and hoppy...)
In response to the bolded word: "....um... what?"

Are you under the impression that late-boil and dryhops add body to beer?

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Excellent choice on using 1084! I have brewed several IPAs and a Black IPA (that won a BoS) using the 1084 strain. Fermented in the mid-60s, it works magic with the malt and strong American hop flavors.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #27
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
Which would be a good point, except I'm not referring to the value of bittering, but rather the flavor and aroma contributions, which cannot be mathematically expressed.
Are you serious dude? Even flavor and aroma can be quantifiable. Think about it... If you can calculate time by the amount of bittering for early additions, and the amount of aroma and flavor loss you have more than enough values for an expression to numerically value aroma/taste this hasn't been done yet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
In response to the bolded word: "....um... what?"

Are you under the impression that late-boil and dryhops add body to beer?
Remove the idea of bittering being the soul definition for "hoppy"

Derivative: hoppy
adj

Smelling or tasting of hops.

Unless late additions contribute no value (which you are all telling me has great value lol) then their has to be something present... right? Think about it. You may not be able to see the thickness, or what have you but, even late additions of hops leaves more elements into the finished beer. Hence... the beer must be thicker with something, or their would be nothing

― Ron Paul

Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #28
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Remove the idea of bittering being the soul definition for "hoppy"

Derivative: hoppy
adj

Smelling or tasting of hops.

Unless late additions contribute no value (which you are all telling me has great value lol) then their has to be something present... right? Think about it. You may not be able to see the thickness, or what have you but, even late additions of hops leaves more elements into the finished beer.
Late additions contribute flavor and aroma compounds which add to hop flavor and aroma. Body is produced by unfermentables from grain, as well as other unfermentables you may want to add (i.e. lactose.)

Quote:
Hence... the beer must be thicker with something, or their would be nothing
So by the same logic, adding spices adds body or thickness because you're putting something in there.

I think you're confusing flavor with body.

99.9999999% of the things we "taste" are actually smells. The only things we actually taste are sweet, sour, bitter, salty, umami and acid. Everything else "tastes" how the smell-compounds are interpreted by our olfactory system. This means these smelly compounds are volatile and must be of negligible mass compared to 5 gallons or even a pint, thus, no body is added. QED

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #29
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Are you serious dude? Even flavor and aroma can be quantifiable. Think about it... If you can calculate time by the amount of bittering for early additions, and the amount of aroma and flavor loss you have more than enough values for an expression to numerically value aroma/taste this hasn't been done yet???
yes, its generally quantified by the amount of late hops, hence why everyone is saying you didnt have enough. I guess you could try to quantify it further by including the %essential oils, but since their make-up hugely varies hop to hop and have different rates of volatility and absorption, the estimate would be even further from the inaccuracy of IBU calculations

Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #30
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm not arguing these points I whole heartedly agree. Nothing is absolute, but numbers helps with precision. I like the fact that in brewing you can never replicate an exact beer twice, especially when aging is involved...

And no I'm not talking about the initial body of a beer, I was loosley expressing earlier in the thread when I first grab a sip of an IPA the first initial response is a thickly hopped beer. whether right or wrong I just do...

I'm not claiming that I know all the answers, I still have a lot to learn I admit that.

― Ron Paul

Quick Reply