Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - Budget Summer India Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Brew_4iT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bohemian by definition, unless referring to inhabitants of the area means unconventional in appearance, behavior, etc.

I would assume the style of this beer comes from the very notion of being different from a traditional pilsner.... make sense?

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just for the sake of argument, this is a qualitative "opinionized unquantifiable words" from wiki

"Modern versions of English IPAs generally pale in comparison (pun intended) to their ancestors. The term "IPA" is loosely applied in commercial English beers today, and has been (incorrectly) used in beers below 4% ABV."

Hey atleast I'm not making a 3.5% abv beer and slapping an IPA label on it.

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT View Post
Bohemian by definition, unless referring to inhabitants of the area means unconventional in appearance, behavior, etc.

I would assume the style of this beer comes from the very notion of being different from a traditional pilsner.... make sense?
Bohemian pilsners are named such because they originated in Bohemia. Bohemia is a region of the now Czech Republic. The style is actually the original Pilsner, seeing as it takes its name from Pilsen.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Hey atleast I'm not making a 3.5% abv beer and slapping an IPA label on it.
if it had the hops to back it, I don't think anyone would argue its merit as an IPA. it'd just be a session IPA. this brew, however, just doesnt have the level of hops to make it an IPA. its a spiced pale ale.

btw, in the case of a boh pils, its referring to the region, not being unconventional

Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

By who's standards now though lol

... And if someone says Homebrewing wiki, or BJCP style guidlines I'm gonna slap 3.5% abv labels on IPA's...

I understand where everyone is coming from, when I think of IPA's I think a really thick hopped beer. But my goal was to tone down an IPA for the summer, still within BJCP style guidelines, and price effective, accordingly.

― Ron Paul

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 823

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
Bohemian pilsners are named such because they originated in Bohemia. Bohemia is a region of the now Czech Republic. The style is actually the original Pilsner, seeing as it takes its name from Pilsen.
Yes, a Bohemian Pilsner IS a recognized beer style, style #2B, with certain characteristics that make it a BoPils.

Quote:
By who's standards now though lol

... And if someone says Homebrewing wiki, or BJCP style guidlines I'm gonna slap 3.5% abv labels on IPA's...

I understand where everyone is coming from, when I think of IPA's I think a really thick hopped beer. But my goal was to tone down an IPA for the summer, still within BJCP style guidelines, and price effective, accordingly.
Just like an American IPA (style #14B) has style guidelines. You can "think of a really thick hopped beer" but that isn't the style anyway. If you want to make an IPA, you really have to have the late hopping. You can make any beer in any way you want, and that's one of the great things about brewing. But it's not very nice to attack people who simply point out that there aren't enough late hops to make a "real" IPA.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 60

L'sigh... you rock my face off sometimes, you know that Yoop? HAHA

But seriously, it's true. You need late hop additions (and plenty of them) in a proper IPA. You're making an ESB or something.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
If there is more to style than the numbers how come you are only quoting quantitative values in my thread?
I quoted both quantitative (1 oz of hops) and qualitative (added late in the boil) properties of your recipe. Either one is meaningless without the other.

But I don't understand why you got so defensive about it. There's nothing wrong with brewing a beer that doesn't neatly fit into a style. I do brew the 4% ABV 'IPA' that you described and I completely agree that it's not an IPA, but it's delicious and I don't care that it doesn't fit a style.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #19
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
I quoted both quantitative (1 oz of hops) and qualitative (added late in the boil) properties of your recipe. Either one is meaningless without the other.

But I don't understand why you got so defensive about it. There's nothing wrong with brewing a beer that doesn't neatly fit into a style. I do brew the 4% ABV 'IPA' that you described and I completely agree that it's not an IPA, but it's delicious and I don't care that it doesn't fit a style.
10 Barrel in Bend, OR is doing a lower ABV IPA, and calling it an ISA (India-Style Session Ale).

Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #20
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
L'sigh... you rock my face off sometimes, you know that Yoop? HAHA

But seriously, it's true. You need late hop additions (and plenty of them) in a proper IPA. You're making an ESB or something.
I was thinking I'd call it an ESB too.

Quick Reply