The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - Budget Summer India Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Brew_4iT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default All-Grain - Budget Summer India Pale Ale

All-Grain - Budget Summer India Pale Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast Irish ale 1084 (prior slurry)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 41.8 (with centennial 60.1)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: SRM 13, Copper to red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 68-72 deg f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 68-72 deg f (dry hop)
Tasting Notes: (haven't tried yet will post results)

%___lbs.____oz.___Ingredients
69% 8 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, US
17% 2 0 Vienna Malt
9% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
2% 0 4 Candi Sugar
2% 0 4 Biscuit Malt
1% 0 2 Black Patent Malt

Hops Schedule
Magnum 1 oz 60min pellet
Centennial* .5 oz 40min pellet
Centennial* .5 oz 15min pellet
Cascade 1 oz (dry hop) leaf

Spices/other additions
Orange zest .25 oz 5min boil
Coriander .25 oz 5min boil

Mash at 155, 165 before the addition of grains unless the temp of the grains was previously brought up to temperature (steep 40 minutes). Sparge 165 3 step. Boil 90 minutes, start 60 minute hop/spice schedule 30 minutes in. If doing stove top (like I did) and have problems with boil volume, I used two seperate stock pots 21 quart, and the other slightly less. Use just enough water in the pots to completely cover the grains and not spill over the top (about halfway mark on both pots). After sparging reduce boil volume by boiling an hour to an hour and a half, should be able to consolidate after in one pot to make it easier for hop/spice schedule. Use fresh orange peeled just the skin no white rhine, washed well (if concerned about infection boil for 10 min), may want to roast the coriander in a pan to help release flavor.

Yeast isn't common but retaining a prior slurry, help with costs, use a more traditional yeast for an IPA if stringent about beer style guidelines. According to beer calculus 40 IBU's is the minimum for an American IPA, the SRM is also within the guidlines. ABV should be around 6.5% depending on attenuation and other variables. I'm going to condition in mini kegs (reused coors home draft kegs) I'll update when the best outcome will be for conditioning (by my palate).

*Baseline for bittering with 40 IBU's by BJCP style guidelines for an IPA without the addition of Centennial, with centennial will be around 60 IBU's which is more recommended. Also, some more late additions of citrusy flavorful hops may be more desirable like amarillo last 5 min/flameout/ or even add with cascade dryhopped. If you want to substitute magnum for an even higher alpha hops for bittering, and for AIPA standards summit is great and American.

Price: $20 (depending on the place you get your grain, hops, and utilizing a prior yeast cake/slurry.)

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Irish ale yeast, coriander, orange zest, black patent, candi sugar, and only 2 oz of hops aren't usually things that come to mind when I think IPA.

Still would be interesting to know how all of that tastes together.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's an untypical beer I know that, but like I mentioned the SRM and IBU's are in the guidelines for this style beer and more so attaining this style without busting your wallet on hops. The moderate amount of candi sugar will help dry it out a little bit, and also boost the alcohol to give it a decent 6.5%. This is also with 73% attenuation, so will probably get even better conversion if all goes well. I've seen quite a few IPA recipe's with black patent, namely Yooper's that comes to mind.

The "Gravity/Hops Ratio" chart puts it as light green "slightly hoppy" but right on the edge of extra hoppy.

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think you'll be closer to an APA than an IPA when it's all said and done.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I think you'll be closer to an APA than an IPA when it's all said and done.
How does that statement make any sense if everything is within the guidlines of an IPA????

From Homebrewing Wiki:

14B. American IPA Vital Statistics
BJCP Style Guideline Definition (2004)
IBUs: 40-60+ SRM: 6-15 OG: 1.056-1.075 FG: 1.010-1.018 ABV: 5.5-7.5

― Ron Paul

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT

How does that statement make any sense if everything is within the guidlines of an IPA????

From Homebrewing Wiki:

14B. American IPA Vital Statistics
BJCP Style Guideline Definition (2004)
IBUs: 40-60+ SRM: 6-15 OG: 1.056-1.075 FG: 1.010-1.018 ABV: 5.5-7.5
Because there is a lot more to a style than the numbers. Remember all those words in the style guidelines? They are actually more important than the numbers. With only 1 oz. Of late hops this beer won't have nearly enough hop flavor and aroma to be an IPA.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You can brew a pretty hop heavy IPA for under $30 if you buy in bulk. My last IPA that I brewed had 7 oz of hops (1 oz Magnum, 3 oz Simcoe, 3 oz Amarillo) and an OG of 1.068. It cost me around $30 with everything considered, including salts and DME for my yeast starter (bottle culture of Pacman).

If you wanted to spend less, you could easily use cheaper aroma hops (Centennial and Chinook come to mind) and and less malt.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
Because there is a lot more to a style than the numbers. Remember all those words in the style guidelines? They are actually more important than the numbers. With only 1 oz. Of late hops this beer won't have nearly enough hop flavor and aroma to be an IPA.
+1

the irish yeast should work pretty well tho. i had a variation of loose cannon with irish yeast that I liked better than the normal.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
If there is more to style than the numbers how come you are only quoting quantitative values in my thread?

.5 an oz of cascade in a 5 gallon carboy should be fine to give it a decent flavor and aroma once all said and done. You ever drink a bohemian style pilsner? or other brew that crosses guidelines but still claims to be a pilsner or ale or what have you?

This is a summer style IPA I wanted to try and with magnum being the same cost of centennial (which I was going to go with originally) IBU's all said and done will be over 40, and with flameout cascade, dryhopped, orange peel and coriander. I don't see any dissatisfaction in the end result of aroma and flavor.

This is geared towards a budget brewer, doesn't buy in bulk during the summer time and wants something different and by definition, even if I were to cut and paste "all those words" would still remain as an IPA.

― Ron Paul

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT View Post
If there is more to style than the numbers how come you are only quoting quantitative values in my thread?

.5 an oz of cascade in a 5 gallon carboy should be fine to give it a decent flavor and aroma once all said and done. You ever drink a bohemian style pilsner? or other brew that crosses guidelines but still claims to be a pilsner or ale or what have you?

This is a summer style IPA I wanted to try and with magnum being the same cost of centennial (which I was going to go with originally) IBU's all said and done will be over 40, and with flameout cascade, dryhopped, orange peel and coriander. I don't see any dissatisfaction in the end result of aroma and flavor.

This is geared towards a budget brewer, doesn't buy in bulk during the summer time and wants something different and by definition, even if I were to cut and paste "all those words" would still remain as an IPA.
Might be a tasty beer, but absolutely not an IPA. The flameout and dryhop additions are way too small and the orange peel and corriander are very out of place.

BTW - how does a Bohemian Pils cross style guidelines.... Boh Pils is a style...

Quick Reply