New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bud Light Clone - (Ducking for cover)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
shildebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bud Light Clone - (Ducking for cover)

OK, OK, So just hear me out!

I recently had a friend over to try some homebrew. He appreciates beer, doesn't know much about styles (except "light" and "dark"), knows even less about brewing, but nonetheless, will enjoy a good IPA.

He mentioned that although he appreciates and enjoys craft brews, his favorite beer is budweiser. OK, I may not agree, but I appreciate his opinion.

However, what really got me is when he said "Why don't you make a budweiser clone?" I told him thats like asking picasso, "Why don't you do connect the dots?" (OK, I'm no picasso, but its the first name that came to mind) He says to me "You just don't do it because nobody can make a beer as good as budweiser, thats why its the best selling beer in the world"

So this is my attempt to prove my buddy wrong (and win a bet)

5.5 Gallons

5 lbs 2-row
1 lb 12 oz - flaked corn
12 oz - minute rice
Almost any bittering hops ~ 12 IBU's
1 packet US-05

Mash at 151 for 2 hours.
90 Minute Boil

Beano in primary for 2-3 weeks.

I apologize for the format, don't have beersmith at work. But I expect to get about a 4% ABV beer with the addition of the beano, and maybe around 110 calories per 12 oz serving.

Anybody have any comments besides how wrong/stupid/sinful/waste of time it is to clone a BMC?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
However, what really got me is when he said "Why don't you make a budweiser clone?" I told him thats like asking picasso, "Why don't you do connect the dots?"
The irony here is that connecting those "dots" is probably going to be harder than painting the Picasso masterpiece! For all their watery, flavorless glory, American lagers are amongst the hardest beers to brew or copy, precisely because there is so little flavor or color to mask imperfections.

Obviously it's not going to be a lager, with the US-05. That's a pretty clean yeast though, not a bad choice. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
OK, OK, So just hear me out!

I recently had a friend over to try some homebrew. He appreciates beer, doesn't know much about styles (except "light" and "dark"), knows even less about brewing, but nonetheless, will enjoy a good IPA.

He mentioned that although he appreciates and enjoys craft brews, his favorite beer is budweiser. OK, I may not agree, but I appreciate his opinion.

However, what really got me is when he said "Why don't you make a budweiser clone?" I told him thats like asking picasso, "Why don't you do connect the dots?" (OK, I'm no picasso, but its the first name that came to mind) He says to me "You just don't do it because nobody can make a beer as good as budweiser, thats why its the best selling beer in the world"

So this is my attempt to prove my buddy wrong (and win a bet)

5.5 Gallons

5 lbs 2-row
1 lb 12 oz - flaked corn
12 oz - minute rice
Almost any bittering hops ~ 12 IBU's
1 packet US-05

Mash at 151 for 2 hours.
90 Minute Boil

Beano in primary for 2-3 weeks.

I apologize for the format, don't have beersmith at work. But I expect to get about a 4% ABV beer with the addition of the beano, and maybe around 110 calories per 12 oz serving.

Anybody have any comments besides how wrong/stupid/sinful/waste of time it is to clone a BMC?
#1 Your buddy is an ignoramus. By his reasoning McDonald's makes the best hamburgers and Wonder makes the best bread. #2 You're not going to make Bud Light clone with dry ale yeast although that guy's taste buds may not know the difference. If you have the time and experience to do a lager it is possible to brew a homebrew version of BMC but unless you are a big fan of the style, which most homebrewers are not, it is only worth doing to enter a comp IMO. This guy's lack of knowledge is to his advantage in the bet. When you serve him the beer chill it in ice water and pour it in a frozen glass.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

a friend of mine just made an american light lager. it was amazing. it's a REALLY GOOD damn beer. more of the style should be like this, it has a perfectly balanced hop and malt taste, but it's very light. the taste is there when you drink it, you get slight malt in the back and then it's GONE like you just drank a glass of water.

pretty incredible. i say go for it.

using dry ale yeast is not going to give you the style, though. why don't you make a cream ale instead? very light and nice...look into it

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
#1 Your buddy is an ignoramus. By his reasoning McDonald's makes the best hamburgers and Wonder makes the best bread. #2 You're not going to make Bud Light clone with dry ale yeast although that guy's taste buds may not know the difference. If you have the time and experience to do a lager it is possible to brew a homebrew version of BMC but unless you are a big fan of the style, which most homebrewers are not, it is only worth doing to enter a comp IMO. This guy's lack of knowledge is to his advantage in the bet. When you serve him the beer chill it in ice water and pour it in a frozen glass.
Yeah, I should have mentioned it won't be a lager. I've done one before, but got rid of my extra fridge and its currently about 100 deg highs every day here, so the lager is pretty much out.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
using dry ale yeast is not going to give you the style, though. why don't you make a cream ale instead? very light and nice...look into it
You can call it a cream ale, light american lager, nectar of the gods, or horse piss, I'm not really going for style guidelines, just something so that I can give him a pint and collect on our bet.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

then use the cream ale yeast (WLP080) and ferment as low as you can. 60°F would be ideal, but anything up to 70°F would work.

i would pick a nice soft hop, like saaz for your bittering.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Toss an offspeed pitch and give him a Czech Pils. Just similar enough in taste for your buddy to recognize, but vastly different enough to give him a little "worldly experience".

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Golfpro01 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I had a similar argument with my roomate a while back. Luckily it didn't end in a bet for me to make a Bud clone. The REAL reason Budweiser is the #1 beer producer is not because it is the best beer, its because of mass marketing and cheap prices. Instead, I made it my mission to make my roomate like good beer. Fast foward a year later, and I have him hooked on Sierra Nevada.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The last time someone told me Bud was the best beer in the world I smacked him upside the head, kicked him in the jewels, and poured his magical Budweiser on him while he twitched on the ground.

Seriously though, the recipe looks like it will end up pretty clean. I did a beer like this once and it turned out pretty close. I'd recommend using flaked rice over minute rice just because I used it in my BMC clone and it turned out well, but I lagered it for like 4 months. I'm going to be trying a similar ale recipe soon for SWMBO.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 07-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply