New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The Bruery's Tart of Darkness - Sour Stout!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
Gunpowder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

OK I just got the kit today and it looks like of includes the standard instructions that they give you with all of their beers... no special instructions for this. I'm a little confused. Jipper can you please clarify the instructions for fermentation? I plan on bottling this in time for October, so I was going to let it ferment for 9 months and add the oak chunks around May. Is it in primary the whole time? When should I bottle it? How long should it bottle condition for? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Jipper
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Gunpowder,

Good questions. I would leave it in primary for the entire time, and bottle it when the taste is to your liking. It will get more sour the longer you let it go, but 9 months should be a good amount of time. May might be a little early for the oak, but again, how much oak you'd like is personal preference. I'd let it bottle condition for a month at least, but after a couple weeks you could try opening one to see where it stands. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers

Matt Monroe
MoreBeer!
Digital Marketing Manager
www.morebeer.com
Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Thank you!! After reading your post, I think I'll oak it in June, bottle in the first week of September.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Hey Jipper, one more thing:

Regarding yeast carbonation, before bottling: Do I have to pitch new yeast? If so, how much and what kind of yeast? Does it has to be the same strain of yeast used to ferment, or can I get away with Safale #5? Do I use a whole packet? Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
av8er79
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I made your Consecration kit about 15 months ago. I plan on bottling it in the next month or so. My idea is to make this recipe and ferment it close to FG then put it in the Consecration carboy as soon as it is taken out for bottling. Your thoughts? Not looking for an exact clone but just a good sour stout that will use my existing bugs.

Quick Reply