Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown Sugar Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brown Sugar Flavor

I recently brewed a brown ale and was hoping to prime it with brown sugar to give it a little bit of a molasses taste in the background. After reading more about it, it appears that the brown sugar will almost completely ferment out and leave no traceable flavor.

I am trying to mimic the flavor of DFH's Indian Brown but am not sure how to do this. Does anyone have any experience with adding this flavor to their beer and how they got it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Ital
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen DFH IBA clone recipes, and they usually call for the brown sugar to be lightly caramelized before adding to the boil. This would result in more unfermentables, and likely more residual flavor.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

My brown ale is unfortunately at the tail end of primary so I can really only work with additions prior to bottling. Maybe I will overshoot the priming by 5-10% and let it caramelize a little before I throw it in.

Thoughts on that. Or should I prime with dark brown sugar and also just add 1 tsp or so of molasses to the priming solution since it is already pretty much unfermentable??

Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The darker the brown sugar, the more lingering the flavor will be. There are quite a few pumpkin ales on the market that are primed with brown sugar that have plenty of brown sugar on the taste buds. I've used it and it worked fine....

Priming with it is not the same a using it as a main fermentable in the boil. You're going to still get the mollassesy flavor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

THANKS REVVY! This is the answer I was looking for. I figured it wouldnt be fully eaten up if I primed with it. Looks like I will stick with my plan and prime with dark brown sugar as if it was table sugar and see how the flavor develops.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply