Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown Shugga

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
ArroganceFan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brown Shugga

Does anyone know of a good Lagunitas Brown Shugga clone extract recipe? Is there a book that might have it? The google searches I have done have not turned up much of anything, and I would really like to get one started for the holiday season. Hopefully I am not too late.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's a link to a recipe. You will have to convert it to extract. Should get you in the ballpark. Check the Lagunitas website for information on ingredients as well.

http://lossilverechos.com/beer/r/shugnight.html

Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the link, looks like I am going to be doing a conversion on my day off tomorrow. I will post it up to see what you guys think, I have never converted a recipe before. Wish me luck

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you have a bottle of Brown Shugga around? The alcohol percentage should be listed on the label. You'll need that to determine the target original gravity. The bottle might also have some recipe/ingredient information. The website had no information.

The recipe from Ruthless Brewing lists a starting gravity of 1.100. I don't think the Lagunitas recipe is that strong.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the bottle in front of me:

OG 1.100
Alc 9.9%
IBU 51.1

There are no ingredients on the label other then "Ale fermented with fresh brown sugar" which is pretty obvious.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArroganceFan
Thanks for the link, looks like I am going to be doing a conversion on my day off tomorrow. I will post it up to see what you guys think, I have never converted a recipe before. Wish me luck
Should be pretty straight forward..you're replacing the 2-row in the recipe with equivalent DME/LME to yeild the same SG. Leave the speciality grains & adjuncts as-is. That recipe is also a 11 gal batch so you will have to resize to your desired batch size. Using promash/beersmith/beertools or other brewing tool will help. The comments on the recipe are interesting.....

Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArroganceFan
I have the bottle in front of me:

OG 1.100
Alc 9.9%
IBU 51.1

There are no ingredients on the label other then "Ale fermented with fresh brown sugar" which is pretty obvious.
My bad on the OG. I've only drank that beer once - it's not one of my favorite Lagunitas brews - but looks like the clone recipe will be pretty close.

From an article by Jonny Lieberman (the author of the clone recipe)

Inspired, the gloves came off and I brewed a clone of Lagunitas Brown Shugga' . Instead of brown sugar (the bland supermarket variety is really just white sugar dyed with molasses), I used a pound each of Muscavado, Demerara and Piloncillo, all of which are available at any Whole Foods. Not to brag, but I much prefer mine to the original. The clone tastes as if a half-dozen Carmellos were tossed into the boil. I've also had good luck with Turbonado.

A link to the entire article - a good read for info on brewing big beers.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/brewingbig.php

Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Should be pretty straight forward..you're replacing the 2-row in the recipe with equivalent DME/LME to yeild the same SG. Leave the speciality grains & adjuncts as-is. That recipe is also a 11 gal batch so you will have to resize to your desired batch size. Using promash/beersmith/beertools or other brewing tool will help. The comments on the recipe are interesting.....
I am going to have to play with one of those programs to see how to to it. I have never messed with them before...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone know of a replacement for Muscovado? I am trying to put that into promash and there isnt an option for it.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Muscovado is just an unrefined brown sugar. Just use the cane sugar numbers.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply