Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown IPA / Black IPA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Scooby_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 994
Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Brown IPA / Black IPA

I'm thinking of expending my library of homebrews and adding either a Brown IPA or a Stout IPA.
As a first step I just brewed an American Brown Ale using Centennial hops (just a small amount of hops, though). I wanted to see if the taste of chocolate malt, roasted malt and Centennial hops would balance each other (a big "if") or fight one another. If this Brown turns out OK I will brew a Brown-IPA hybrid and see how that will turn out.

I wonder if there are any commercial examples of Brown IPAs or Stout IPAs?

Any thoughts on this recipe project would be appreciated.

__________________
"My Brew Day" on YouTube.
RDWHAHB

Last edited by Scooby_Brew; 11-13-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Scooby_Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Middleborough, MA
Posts: 1,914
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Go for it

I brewed mine without ever tasting a Black IPA

Roast and hops go together beautifully

__________________
babalu87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
I'm thinking of expending my library of homebrews and adding either a Brown IPA or a Stout IPA.
As a first step I just brewed an American Brown Ale using Centennial hops (just a small amount of hops, though). I wanted to see if the taste of chocolate malt, roasted malt and Centennial hops would balance each other (a big "if") or fight one another. If this Brown turns out OK I will brew a Brown-IPA hybrid and see how that will turn out.

I wonder if there are any commercial examples of Brown IPAs or Stout IPAs?

Any thoughts on this recipe project would be appreciated.
Commercial examples: Bitch Creek ESB, Terrapin India Brown Ale, Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale.

Popular homebrew recipe: Mike McDole's Janet's Brown Ale
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 548
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

They're also known as "Cascadian Dark Ale" if they're black, not brown.

Rogue, Hopworks, Iron Horse, Deschutes, Laurelwood, Walking Man, Three Creeks, and Laughing Dog are all Pacific NW breweries that make the same style either under the name CDA or Black IPA.

Stone, of course, makes the Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

They all typically involve taking an IPA recipe and adding roasted black malts. Most use Weyermann Carafa III Special. Carafa III is basically the darkest malt out there. The "Special" means it's been de-husked, which results in a smoother flavor.

I usually just take my normal IPA recipes, then steep about a pound of black patent and a pound of chocolate malt for 10 min at 160 degrees. The short steep gives me very dark color and a little bit of roasted flavor.

__________________
alexdagrate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
mZnthebend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 102
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Victory Brewing just released Yakima Twilight that falls in this category. I had it at a tasting the other week and it was by far the best beer I had that night. I'm not sure if Victory is is Michigan, but keep your eyes open.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/offtopic.gif

Oh, and I met Greg Koch from Stone at the tasting and talked with him for a few minutes. He was a really cool guy and very down to earth.

__________________
mZnthebend is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Default

I've had a number of commercial and homebrew CDAs. The best tasting ones used Carafa III or Chocolate Wheat. I find the 3Cs clash rather badly with the roast and coffee flavors of typical stouts.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Scooby_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 994
Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
They're also known as "Cascadian Dark Ale" if they're black, not brown.
I found this on youtube:
At 3:05: "Carafa, Chocolate, Caramel, Pilsner".
Does anyone have more specific recipe for that? Or should I do what Alexgrate is suggesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
They all typically involve taking an IPA recipe and adding roasted black malts. Most use Weyermann Carafa III Special. Carafa III is basically the darkest malt out there. The "Special" means it's been de-husked, which results in a smoother flavor.

I usually just take my normal IPA recipes, then steep about a pound of black patent and a pound of chocolate malt for 10 min at 160 degrees. The short steep gives me very dark color and a little bit of roasted flavor.
__________________
"My Brew Day" on YouTube.
RDWHAHB
Scooby_Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
MultumInParvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 791
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

There is one problem though. I heard once that once you go black, well... You know. Its quite difficult to go back.

__________________
MultumInParvo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 548
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
...
Does anyone have more specific recipe for that? Or should I do what Alexgrate is suggesting:
I'd say this would be a good recipe to use if you can get your hands on the Carafa III Special:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ston...tml#post558277
__________________
alexdagrate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
OLDBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SJ
Posts: 759
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

IPA= india PALE ALE There is no such thing as a Black or Brown IPA. ESB means Extra Special Bitter, Brown means just that. Stout is a whole other catagory.

Why don't you make another catagory like real bitter black dookie

__________________
OLDBREW is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Patent, Roasted Barley (500L), Black Barley Difference KYB Recipes/Ingredients 14 03-04-2010 01:31 AM
Black Patent = Black Malt? Aleforge All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 11-12-2008 02:11 PM
new belgium 1554 enlightened black ale or Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clones? maboitan Recipes/Ingredients 3 09-03-2008 02:40 PM
Want to make India Brown Ale - Was given Mild Brown Ale Extract Kit Atl300zx Recipes/Ingredients 18 01-14-2008 05:49 PM
My Black Ale Came Out Brown? Brew Haus General Techniques 12 03-14-2007 11:59 PM