Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown Ale + Maple Syrup...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Brown Ale + Maple Syrup...

Anyone have a suggestion for using maple syrup? I've been requested by some family members to make a Maple Brown Ale, but I'm not too sure about how much maple syrup to use, as well as what grade to use...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From BYO:

Maple Brown Ale

Author: John Huegel
Issue: June 1996
Online Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2002
(5 gallons)

"This is one of the first recipes I made up, and it is a favorite. The secret is the maple syrup. I made it with syrup from my dad's trees that was reduced over a wood fire. This gave it a slightly smoky flavor. The maple and the Cascade hops go well together. Be warned: This is a strong one."

Ingredients:
3 lbs. hopped amber malt extract
3 lbs. hopped dark malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
1 quart (3 lbs.) maple syrup
2 oz. Cascade hops
Doric dry ale yeast
3/4 cup sugar
Step by Step:
Rehydrate dry yeast in 1 1/2 cups sterilized water at 80° to 100° F up to an hour before pitching.

Add grains (in bag) to 1 gallon cold water. Steep until 160° F, hold 15 minutes, remove grains. Add extract and maple syrup. Boil 55 minutes. Add Cascades and boil for five minutes. Add 3.5 gallons cold water in carboy. Pitch rehydrated yeast into 7-gallon carboy. Bottle with sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water.

OG = 1.075
FG = 1.018

Obviously, you can sub in malts in promash or another program to get to the same OG for an all grain.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have read that adding something like maple syrop is best done in secondary, or at the end of primary fermentation. Supposedly you are more likely to preserve some of the maple flavor this way.

Edit: Also, use grade B maple syrup instead of A.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I've done a maple brown ale before.

I used 6.5 gal of sap for the strike water. This was an extract brew. Lightly hopped. I also added 1 pint of pure maple syrup to the last 5 of the boil. I brewed it more like a mild than a brown really. At first the maple was almost nonexistent in the bottled beer. However the maple showed up after 6 months in the bottles. It is still faint but I really like the beer. It's subtle. If you wanted more maple flavor I would think about the secondary but make sure to account for adding all of that sugar. Ask if you've got more questions.

What's tappening? :D

Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

+1 on grade B maple syrup, and even grade C if you can find it. Grade A just doesn't have much in the way of flavor.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I added 1/2 cup when I was bottling but ALSO added the normal Corn Sugar. Pretty foamy!! so back off a little with the carbing sugar.

Also - JUST a word of warning - My brown Maple ale was the only one that I have ever had a "twang". went away after 4 weeks but IF you get it (not saying you will) just hang tight - it'll diminish over time.

People loved mine

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
PT934
Recipes 

Definitely grade B syrup. Darker beers are better for Maple syrup. I have done a mild as well that turned out pretty good. I tried making a lighter beer hoping more maple flavor would come through, but it ended up being really thin with pretty harsh alchohol taste. It worked to get drunk on, but wasnt what I was going for. I like to add it to secondary and have tried using it to prime with. About a quart in secondary on a 5 gal batch should be good, but will add a good amount of alchohol. Priming with it is hard, I tried 1 1/4 cups in 5 gal for my first and it overcarbed. Dropped to 1 cup on my second and it overcarbed... I have used corn sugar since. If you can get it right to prime with, it adds maple to the aftertaste. I currently have a sweet stout in secondary with maple and a sample the other day tasted pretty good. Im not a fan of using sap as the water to mash or brew with. no good reason for not liking it though...

Quick Reply