Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brown ale extract question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Ponduke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brown ale extract question...

Hey y'all. I got another extract question for you. Did my first batch ever last weekend, figure I'll do my second this weekend. I've decided on a brown ale, hoping to get close to a Newcastle kind of thing. Found my LHBS has a better choice of specialty grains and hops than I first though so I’m going to give it a shot. What I'd like to know is, firstly, I've found a couple recipes out there but does anybody have a brown ale extract recipe they would recommend, and secondly, I have pretty hard water (well water) where I live, so we have a water softener. Both the soft and the hard taste pretty good to drink but I wonder which I should use for my beer, or maybe a combination of both? Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

For extract brewing, water chemistry doesn't matter much. If your water softener uses salt, I'd stick with the unsoftened.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More Beer's brown ale kit is pretty darn good as it is, I'd opt for a mini mash and add bit of carapils to help the body and head a bit. I used to brew loads of that kit before I started making my own recipes.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Click on the word "recipes" under my pic.

Enjoy!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply