The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Briess Pilsner Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Briess Pilsner Malt

So can this be used for what Jamil calls for in his recipes (Continental Pilsner)? Or is this malt much different and you won't get the right body and style beer??

My local shop has Briess Pilsner and I was thinking of buying a bulk sack to make a bunch of different brews.

Has anyone used Briess Pilsner for the Jamil recipes??

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

AFAIK Continental Pilsner means European Pilsner. Unfortunately I haven't compared Briess Pils malt to others. Usually when I use Pils malt it is to make either German or Belgian styles so I use German/Bohemian (usually Weyermann) for the German beers and Belgian (usually Castle) for Belgians. Then I use UK Maris Otter (Crisp or TF&S) for almost all my ales. So I guess I'm sort of biased towards 'Continental' malts...for no good reason really (other than trying to be a little more 'authentic').

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

It seems to have a slightly lower soluble/total protein ratio and a lighter color (1°L) than most modern continental pilsener malts, but it's made from 2-row. It should be quite suitable, but not exactly the same. It depends on the price. You may get a sack of German or Belgian Pilsener from just as cheap by ordering it (e.g., North Country Malt Supply). Overall, I haven't been real impressed by Briess's malts, but I haven't tried them all either.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
jamilz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It is good stuff. Pretty much everything from Briess is good stuff, but it will be slightly different. I'm still a stickler for a continental malt, but I believe you can make award winning beer with Briess malts.

I hope my post helped in some small way. If you need to contact me, please use email since it sometimes takes me several days to get back to the forum.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilz View Post
Pretty much everything from Briess is good stuff
I was disappointed to find their Munich and Vienna malts are 6-row. I tasted, side-by-side, a few kernels each of their Munich (10°L) malt vs. BestMalz Munich malt. The Briess was bland and somewhat astringent compared to the BestMalz.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
jamilz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think if you blind tasted beers brewed with both, you'd change your mind on that. Nothing wrong with 6 row malt if used properly.

I hope my post helped in some small way. If you need to contact me, please use email since it sometimes takes me several days to get back to the forum.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Sorry to dig up an old thread, just wanted somewhere to post this pic that someone might find interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
It seems to have a slightly lower soluble/total protein ratio and a lighter color (1°L) than most modern continental pilsener malts, but it's made from 2-row.
It does seem to me to be really pale. I *love* the stuff.

Illustrated, that's a Beck's on the left, my pilsner (100% Briess, double decoction, 90min boil, ~1.053 OG) on the right.
img_20120210_221310.jpg  
justkev52 Likes This 

Quick Reply