Briess Extra Special - how to use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simchuck

Reaction score
I have a pound of Briess Extra Special malt, which sounds like it may have some interesting flavors for my robust porter. Their website describes it as follows:

Color: 130 Lovibond
Flavor: Toasted marshmallow, toast, mild coffee, prunes, dry, woody
Characteristics: Complex flavored 2-Row Biscuit-style Malt. This hybrid drum roasted malt has an array of both caramel and dry roasted flavors. Use to develop flavors associated with darker, high gravity beers like Doppelbock. Equally well suited for mid to dark Belgian style ales. Adds complexity to Abbey styles and darker styles like dry Irish Stouts and Porters. Contributes dark red to deep copper colors. At higher usage it contributes lighter brown hues.

I've searched several forums, but there doesn't seem to be much real experience shared, and little facts. I'm sure someone out there must use this and could provide some guidance on where this works well (or not), how much to use, and what adjustments to make to substitute for other specialty malts.

Anyone?

Back