Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing w/ Tap Water (Chicago)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
JJWP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing w/ Tap Water (Chicago)

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum (and somewhat new to homebrewing - just got into all grain after 6 or so extract batches). I hope the Ingredients area is the right place to post this thread, if not let me know. I've looked everywhere but haven't seen anyone address this specific topic

My question: Does anyone out there live in Chicagoland and brew using the local Lake Michigan tap water? I started out buying distilled water at the grocery, but am not a big fan of adding ten bucks in cost to every brew. Not to mention my first all grain attempts where I miscalculated my water needs and had to use tap water (I boiled) to top off. Not fun.

So -I'm wondering if there is anyone on here that has used the Chicago water in their brewing with good success? I haven't attempted to modify the water profile yet as I don't yet have a good reliable fine measurement scale to measure out small adjustments and the like. Also, I found a copy of the local water report (I think from 2007) online, but it didn't have as much info as I expected to find. Seemed more concerned with levels of potentially health hazards than general water profile characteristics.

If there aren't any Chicagoans out there, maybe some of you have used your local unmodified water with good results?

Thanks in advance for any help - I already owe a lot to the folks on this forum. Learned a lot from you all so far.

jjwp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not near Chicago, but I'd bet if your tap water tastes good you'll brew good beer. If it tastes bad, probably best not to use it.

If you have a water softener, you'll want to bypass it.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
PaulTheOriginal
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to work for a company located in Chicago; and, spent a fair amount of time there in the 90's. The water was good right out of the tap and if I recall correctly was "soft" in relation to the New England water I'm used to. Since you're doing AG and boiling all your water I'd think you'd be alright. There could be some styles that might come out better than others, but that's pretty much true everywhere.

Paul

Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

You have to call the public works department (number on that 2007 water report) to get the numbers we're interested in. If I remember, all the Ca and Mg are all in the low 30 ppm range. I've brewed with this water (carbon filtered) and haven't had a problem as long as I add pH 5.2 buffer to the mash.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
JJWP
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies, all.

Rocketman - I think I'll take your advice and call the Public Works dept.

thanks again,

jjwp

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm always leary of using tap water, after hearing all of those stories about finding prescription meds, etc in it.
Having lived in/near Chicago all of my life, I'd also be wary of all the chlorine, but I know that can be boiled off. Personally, I always use Ice Mountain Spring Water, and have had great success.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
joety

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Goose Island uses Chicago tap water drawn from Lake Michigan and charcoal filters it (I believe) and they make phenomenal beer. I always believe you should use local water and make adjustments if necessary. It's what makes your beer uniquely yours. Distilled water is for chemistry projects.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Quick Reply