New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing with sage




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
dregus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So. California, California
Posts: 75
Default Brewing with sage

Anyone ever brewed with sage? I w thinking of doing a winter ale with it but not sure how much to use and when to add it.

I am probably going to add it to the secondary unless I hear otherwise.



__________________
dregus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,674
Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Im doing one now.. I did the highland heather ale recipe from BYO.
http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/90-american-amber-a-pale-ale/2271-highland-heather-ale
Did the original version with the heather tips and a second version with McCormick gourmet series sage leaves/rub.. I did the same time on the additions as the heather but did the .5oz(?) Bottle of sage as the replacement for the 2 additions(one in the boil and one secondary for 5 days).. its in the keg now force carbing but at transfer it was delicious and not overbearing.. fell in love with Epic's Utah Sage Saison..
http://www.epicbrewing.com/component/k2/item/268-utah-sage-saison-release-#1
Epic's website says thyme, rosemary and sage and I swear I saw on the McCormick bottle that it was actually a blend of thyme, marjoram and sage so honestly can't remember if it was the gourmet series rub or leaves cause I thought it would work perfect.. I'll come back to this thread when I tap and let you know how it tastes cold and carbed up.



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
dbals
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 109
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bison-brewing-company-honey-basil-ale-clone-264689/

I saw this recipe in BYO and it looks interesting.

Dan B.
__________________
dbals is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,488
Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

I haven't brewed with sage, but I've cooked with it a lot being a chef. The hardier herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage are almost never added late or incorporated into cold preparations. These herbs are always usually cooked with the food for a decent amount of time. Thus, I would assume you wouldn't get the best results from "dryherbing" with them. The delicate herbs like parsley, chervil, and cilantro however are best when added during the last 5 minutes or secondary.

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,674
Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
I haven't brewed with sage, but I've cooked with it a lot being a chef. The hardier herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage are almost never added late or incorporated into cold preparations. These herbs are always usually cooked with the food for a decent amount of time. Thus, I would assume you wouldn't get the best results from "dryherbing" with them. The delicate herbs like parsley, chervil, and cilantro however are best when added during the last 5 minutes or secondary.
I agree with you on flavor.. I did get allot more aroma from my dryherb though.. do you think the alcohol in there would pull more flavor out if left longer than 5 days?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,488
Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Maybe the better bet is making a tincture with the hardy herbs prior to brewing, and then adding that to flameout AND secondary. Delicate herbs shouldn't require a tincture.

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,674
Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
Maybe the better bet is making a tincture with the hardy herbs prior to brewing, and then adding that to flameout AND secondary. Delicate herbs shouldn't require a tincture.
Yup, I actually do that allot. This being the first time with sage, I didn't.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sage amber ale? Boardshortbrews Recipes/Ingredients 4 06-13-2012 10:16 AM
brewing with sage and/or chestnuts simcoe4life Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-01-2012 11:52 PM
Using Sage Zappy540 Recipes/Ingredients 1 06-18-2011 09:09 PM
Sage Ale arachnyd Wine Making Forum 3 02-22-2006 04:31 AM