Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing out of Brewing Classic Styles Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Brewing out of Brewing Classic Styles Question

In the past when I wanted to brew recipe out of Brewing Classic Styles, I would simply go to the All Grain Option, double the Malt bill, double the specialty grains and hops, and brew it. I have had no complaints, until now. I am preparing to brew the "Rogue Flamande" today on page 220. What I have come up, by simply doubling everything is 10.50 lbs Pilsner, 10.50 lbs Vienna, 1 lb Wheat, 2 lbs Munich, 1 lb Aromatic, 1 lb CaraMunich, and 1 lb Special B. That gives me (Using Beer Smith) an SRM of 27, when I want to be at 13. What gives? Also, the percentages are way off then what Jamil uses for the Extract version of the recipe. Only reason I am being so Anal about this recipe is that I have been looking foreward to brewing a Sour now for at least 4 years, if not more. Well, today's the day. I'll be letting it age with an Oak Bung for 12-18 Months, and I really want to get the recipe right. So, a little help please

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't worry about the % compared to extract, they are off since you are not subbing 1lb of grain per 1lb of extract. The percentages are useless for all grain.

For the color, I will ask the obvious question: Do you have the volume set for 12 gallons post boil? Second, double check the SRM of the specialty malts.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Sorry, but the title is waaaaay confusing.

I thought you were brewing something that was out of bounds of accepted styles.......

Old 08-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Being that you doubled everything and 27 is about double 13, I'm thinking something isn't set right in your software.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I put that grain bill into both Promash and Beersmith.
For a 12g batch, Promash gave me an estimated SRM of 12.2, and Beersmith gave me an SRM of 14.8.
Are you sure, you have the color units set to SRM and not EBC?

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply