Brewing a new IPA today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Trying out a new hop, so I figured I would try changing up the grain bill too.

It better be good since I will have 3 kegs of it. :cross: I'll think of a name later.

citraipa.png

This was made with the recipe calculator over at TastyBrew dot com.

I like the grainbill and the warrior hops! :cross:

I think citra is a little too "tropical" for me. I like Sierra Nevada Torpedo so I thought I'd do an all-citra (except for bittering) beer.

It screamed MANGO at me. It really was overpowering, like I put mango pulp in the secondary. I dryhopped with cascade to help cover some of it, and got a Juicy Fruit gum beer. It faded somewhat, but it was a very fruity beer up until the end.

If you like it, that's great. If you're not sure, you may want to flavor with a different hop, and use the citra for aroma. Just a thought!

I brewed one with a friend a few weeks ago. We used Magnum for bittering and Centennial & Citra for flavor & aroma. It turned out great.

I might see if I can find some Centennial in the freezer and use that for the 15 minute addition.

Thanks for the feedback!

I suspect it will be great, because every other recipe that I have pirated from you has been. :cross:

Ed - do you know why tastybrew doesn't categorize their styles the same as BJCP? I do like their site and their recipe format, but it annoys me that they don't follow BJCP with their numbering system....

btw - can you describe what flaked barley adds?

that's really close to my house IPA, hops vary, but do like the flaked barely in my IPAs..

I love what Flaked Barley does for my beers. The cascading bubbles, the head retention, and great lace on the glass. It adds a creaminess to it as well.

My grain bill was kinda like my IPA with the Munich in it and I had 3 lbs. of Vienna left over, so I tossed that in. My IPA uses Crystal 60L, so this is a variation of my IPA with Vienna added and some different hops.

First runnings from the MLT look & smell wonderful. I need to pull 18 gallons to get started.

I love what Flaked Barley does for my beers. The cascading bubbles, the head retention, and great lace on the glass. It adds a creaminess to it as well.

sounds good I will have to try and add some to one of my next brews

I'm kinda bummed. I could not find my Citra today. It's buried somewhere in the freezer and SWMBO must have moved it.

I used Centennial for the last two hop additions, so it's going to come out like my IPA, but I hope I can find it in time for dry hopping with it.

I'm kinda bummed. I could not find my Citra today. It's buried somewhere in the freezer and SWMBO must have moved it.

I used Centennial for the last two hop additions, so it's going to come out like my IPA, but I hope I can find it in time for dry hopping with it.

Oh, good! It'll be better that way! :D

I didn't make it up your way this year, but next year- look out! You may find the Yooper contingent (Me, Bob, and the dog) heading towards your way. We'll be conducting quality control samples of the Bee Cave Brewery beers.

(Seriously, I haven't seen you in a while- hope all are well. We're good here, and heading a bit east of you on Tuesday. Give my love to your wife, and hopefully see you next time).

Ed - do you know why tastybrew doesn't categorize their styles the same as BJCP? I do like their site and their recipe format, but it annoys me that they don't follow BJCP with their numbering system....

btw - can you describe what flaked barley adds?

bjcp changes their formula as edwort changes recipe specs. his recipes are that good.

The other thing is I whirlpooled then racked onto Nottingham cakes from a 15 gallon batch of Haus Ale. It's amazing how much hot & cold break material I leave behind when I do this.

All three are at high kreuzen this morning. Sweet!

Finally got around to downloading a pic from my phone.

NewIPA.png

This puppy weighs in at 1.070 and I'm sure that Nottingham cake will finish this out around 1.010 to 1.012, so it's going to be a big beer.

Latest posts

Back