Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing my first from scratch recipe this weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing my first from scratch recipe this weekend

I've spent some time reading up on hefe recipes and the style in general and decided to try my hand at one. So, here goes:

Turkeyfoot Brewery - King Wheat
1.5 lb. Vienna
1.5 lb. Wheat

5.25 lb. Wheat DME

1 oz. Saaz - 2.1% Alpha

Wyeast 3068

My usual process is to add the grains to 2 gallons water and raise the temp to 150. I'll let that steep at that temp for 45 minutes, pull the grains and bring to a boil. Add the extracts and the hops and boil for 60 minutes, adding the Irish Moss during the last 15 minutes.

Next, I cool the wort in an ice bath and then dump it into a waiting carboy. Top off with water to make 5 gallons and agitate till my arms are numb. Make sure the temp is down to 70ish and pitch in my yeast.

From the Beer Recipator, my OG should be 1.058 and I'm shooting for a FG of 1.012. Final alcohol content, 5.9% by volume. A little big for a hefe but we'll see if I actually hit those numbers.

I'm picking up the ingredients tomorrow after work and going to make my first ever starter tomorrow night. Planning on using a 1/2 cup light DME and 2 cups water. I will be decanting the wort off before pitching. I figure I'll let it sit till Friday night and assuming it's done by then put it in the fridge and brew Saturday. If it's not ready yet I'll just push everything back a day.

Thoughts? Concerns? Questions?

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 118 Posts

i do a few things differently...probably use all DME instead of the lme, but it still looks great!

interested to see how it turns out!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One question I thought of after the initial post. Once I've chilled the starter and poured off the wort how do I free the yeast cake at the bottom? Once it comes to room temp will it just pour right out of the starter vessel? I know from cleaning carboys that the cake is usually pretty sludgy and doesn't exactly "pour".

You know, I haven't really considered use DME all that much mainly because LME is so much easier to use, no clumping and it just pours right in. That and I just got into the habit of buying LME. However, in doing some quick math and price comparison it looks like going DME is really the way to go, at least with my LHBS. I can get 3lb of DME, the equivalent of 3.75lb of LME, for $10 where as the LME is sold in 3.3lb cans for $10. So, that's roughly 14% more extract for the same price. I'm definitely going that route.

Bottled:

Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

No finishing hops? Is this typical of a wheat?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From the reading I've done hefe's are generally very light on the hops. From the beers I've done I've found that 3oz of hops makes for a fairly strong hop character, at least for me, so I decided to go with 1oz to try and get the light hop characteristic of the style.

Bottled:

Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
mblakely
Recipes 

The Hefe charictoristics come from the yeast strain that you will choose. You might pick up some citus/bananna flavors that would be masked by dry hopping or even over hopping.

My question, and I have asked this about my Aventinus recipe, do you think that you need to ass the irish moss? It seems that another charictoristis of a Hefe is the cloudy nature. Just wondering?

Cheers

Primary #1:Apricot Amber
Primary #2: Dry Hopped Amber
Secondary #1: Nothing
Secondary #2:Nothing
Bottles: Head Butt Pale Ale, Vanilla Cream Porter, IPA, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Aventinus Clone, English Brown
Planning: Peach plambic, Summer Shandy

Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You would want to use atleast .25oz finishing hops to give it a good nose and aroma . Also, i wouldn't use any Irish Moss because that eliminates the cloudiness that wheat beers are supposed to have.

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Irish moss shouldn't affect the characteristic cloudiness of a hefe because it doesn't go after yeast. It bonds to proteins in the wort and helps them to settle out before they have a chance to bond with the tannins and create chill haze. I always add Irish Moss as insurance against the haze.

Update: I'm altering the recipe I'm using rather dramatically. I'm shooting for a 50/50 split between wheat and barley and I just discovered something on another thread, that wheat extracts aren't 100% wheat. After doing some checking I discovered that the Briess extract I planned to use is actually 65% wheat, 35% barleys so I'm adjusting the amounts of both. I'm going to use 4.25lb of wheat DME and 1lb. of light DME. I edited my original post to include those changes.

Bottled:

Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The cloudiness though isn't strictly the yeast, a weizen ohne hefe is still hazy because of the wheat

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have read the same thing, that the extra proteins contained in the wheat contribute to the cloudiness but I've still found that most recipes call for Irish Moss. Since I'm sure I'll try different variations with this recipe I might go with Irish Moss this time and without next as a comparison.

Bottled:

Quick Reply