Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing first Pumpkin Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
rroop32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing first Pumpkin Beer

I have always been a huge fan of pumpkin beers. I have brewed about 4 of the "kit " beers and have gotten the system and a good idea of how everything works. Now i want to try to brew my first either partial or full grain
brew. I know this takes a little research and some trial and errors. are there any pointers that i should know about brewing a pumpkin beer.? I would like to start with an oktoberfest base and go from there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Biggest tip...add rice hulls to the mash if you do all grain! If you add real or canned pumpkin it will be sticky and could cause a stuck mash. The Rice hulls help prevent that! Second tip..if using canned pumpkin, use a product that is pure pumpkin like Libby's...but don't use ones that are Pumpkin Pie mixes as they have stuff added! Lastly, spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and roast it to caramelize the pumpkin for added flavor.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - Dortmunder Export
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Janet's Brown Ale
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
rroop32
Recipes 

What are rice hulls? I was planning on using a real pumpkin and bake that for a couple hours.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Rice hulls are the cover for the seeds/grains of rice. They are very dry and and help filter the grain bed (if you do all grain) when you are using a sticky substance like pumpkin to prevent a stuck mash. They kind of remind me of dry pine needles but are wider. Here's a pic.

You can use real pumpkin, I used cans for the ease. I recall reading on this forums last year that a lot of people recommend using Sugar Pie pumpkins rather than the big orange jack-o-lantern style because Sugar Pie are a cooking pumpkin and has better flavor. They are much smaller so you would need more. Brewers on this site have also used butternut squash (after all pumpkin is a squash), and even, believe it or not, sweet potatoes will give you a great "pumpkin" flavor.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - Dortmunder Export
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Janet's Brown Ale
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Quick Reply