Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
MarkSheffield
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing disaster

I lost a batch this past weekend due to an accident by my kids. It was fully boiled down to 5 gallons and cooled and ready to go into the carboy, and I lost it all.

I'm almost through the grief (I'm at stage 4). I know I can brew again, but I still have a pint of Kolsh ale yeast starter made for that brew. Can this yeast hold out for another week or so until I rebrew, or should I just pitch that (pun, haha) and start a fresh batch of yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say step up the yeast starter, maybe boil some more DME and water, cool and put it in the pitcher of starter. That way your yeast stay alive and active until you can brew again. Plus, you'll have a bigger starter!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
MarkSheffield
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, that's easy enough

thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd put the starter in the fridge and re-fresh it 24 hours before the next brew date.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I'd put the starter in the fridge and re-fresh it 24 hours before the next brew date.
+1. First, my condolences on a lost batch. The yeast should keep just fine in the fridge. I'd let it come to room temp and build it up before pitching.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
MarkSheffield
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
...First, my condolences on a lost batch.
Thank you - it was a 6-hour decoction mash on 14lbs of grain. I'll miss it forever.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
MarkSheffield
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
OK, sounds perfect.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4661 Times on 3386 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheffield View Post
Thank you - it was a 6-hour decoction mash on 14lbs of grain. I'll miss it forever.
Wow- lots of work down the drain. I'll raise a pint for its loss. Well, not right now because I'm at work. It's bad enough I spend so much time on HBT during work hours, if I started drinking during working hours I'd probably not be well-loved by my boss. Still, I'll raise a pint of American Amber at 3:05 CDT for the loss of this decoction mash.

What happened? Or is still to painful to talk about?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
MarkSheffield
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
What happened? Or is still to painful to talk about?
It's a relief to talk about it, there's so much bottled up inside (haha - another pun)

I had done everything on my deck in the backyard and had just finished up with the chiller and the pot was still on the burner. It was around 8 o'clock - my first attempt at decoction (which I really think is cool, btw) and I had really futzed around with trying to figure out how to do it and it had taken forever. My sons were running around like lunatics kicking a soccer ball and my oldest son punted the ball and it hit a tree and bounced back toward the deck. I was at the other end of the house detaching the hose and heard the crash - the ball had hit the pot from the side and everything went over. Both my boys just froze and didn't know whether to run or what. I kept my cool, didn't yell - well, I yelled but didn't yell at them, just one of those "my head is going to pop" arrgh's. The oldest one apologized for an hour and the youngest one just cried but we're all past it now.

Every now and then you can just have a bad day, you know?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4661 Times on 3386 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheffield View Post
It's a relief to talk about it, there's so much bottled up inside (haha - another pun)

I had done everything on my deck in the backyard and had just finished up with the chiller and the pot was still on the burner. It was around 8 o'clock - my first attempt at decoction (which I really think is cool, btw) and I had really futzed around with trying to figure out how to do it and it had taken forever. My sons were running around like lunatics kicking a soccer ball and my oldest son punted the ball and it hit a tree and bounced back toward the deck. I was at the other end of the house detaching the hose and heard the crash - the ball had hit the pot from the side and everything went over. Both my boys just froze and didn't know whether to run or what. I kept my cool, didn't yell - well, I yelled but didn't yell at them, just one of those "my head is going to pop" arrgh's. The oldest one apologized for an hour and the youngest one just cried but we're all past it now.

Every now and then you can just have a bad day, you know?
That's sort of what I figured. Well, not the soccer ball hitting a tree- that's kind of hard to have imagined. But stuff happens when you have kids. At least no one was hurt and the kids know that it was important to you and certainly didn't do it intentionally.

So, you liked your first decoction mash, huh? I've enjoyed the few that I've done. It makes me feel all "German brewer inside".

Quick Reply