*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing Classic Styles Recipes
View Poll Results: Just curious as to how many people own a copy of Brewing Classic Styles
I own it! 350 71.57%
I don't own it, but I want it. 109 22.29%
I don't own it, and I am not interested in buying it. 30 6.13%
Voters: 489. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

awesome!! Thanks man

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't have BeerSmith so I can't check your work. I can thank you for this effort!

I'll also weigh in on something you wrote above:

Quote:
I just need help lining up the best possible suggestion for grains, or if I need to be more vague and simply say something like pale UK vs. Thomas Faucett.
I think you must be careful with that, because it gets really complicated very quickly indeed.

To continue with your example, "Pale UK Malt" is not uniform across maltsters. Muntons is different than Fawcett than . Fawcett's pale malt is a blend of three barley varieties and is floor-malted; we don't know what Muntons uses (though it's mostly Maris Otter) and they certainly don't floor malt. They have different flavors, extract yield, protein levels, etc.

I think if you're going to input the recipes, you really need to put them in as written. Frankly, I should go do that with the recipes I have in my drop-down, because they do change when ingredients sources change.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
Whoa, awesome! I own the book, but I love that you've made it easy to put the recipes into BS. Thanks so much! I don't have much constructive criticism, but if I find something I'll be sure to let you know.
I am glad so many own the book. I was hoping the majority were going to be owners, so I don't feel as bad about putting them out there. Please do let me know if you find something I missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
awesome!! Thanks man
You're welcome! They were a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to do. I am hoping this thread helps it be more fulfilling by being as accurate as I can be on them. Since we are the largest beer forum, what better a place to get help on something like this. WE ROCK on HBT!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow this is amazing! Thank you so much. I was wondering if I was ever going to get them all entered. I was only entering them as I brew them and only had about 4 so far. I do own the book BTW. For anyone considering downloading and not buying the book, it is still worth the money just for the notes on each style and tips on how to brew it. It is a great investment for the money. Please support the author.

I will let you know if I come across any errors

Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I don't have BeerSmith so I can't check your work. I can thank you for this effort!

I'll also weigh in on something you wrote above:

I think you must be careful with that, because it gets really complicated very quickly indeed.

To continue with your example, "Pale UK Malt" is not uniform across maltsters. Muntons is different than Fawcett than . Fawcett's pale malt is a blend of three barley varieties and is floor-malted; we don't know what Muntons uses (though it's mostly Maris Otter) and they certainly don't floor malt. They have different flavors, extract yield, protein levels, etc.

I think if you're going to input the recipes, you really need to put them in as written. Frankly, I should go do that with the recipes I have in my drop-down, because they do change when ingredients sources change.

Cheers!

Bob
Thanks for the input. I too think vague is better, however, in talking with friends on the chat bsdx had input that caused me to question. Something in the book says say chocolate malt 420*L (example off the top of my head for what I am talking about) in a schwartzbier. Bsdx recommended Simpsons UK chocolate malt at 430*L over the Briess Chocolate dark 6-row 420*L that I had initially picked since it was right on in color. He made me think, I'm making a German beer and UK is closer to Germany than US Briess would be. Not to mention he wondered about the 6-row, since it didn't say to use 6-row chocolate. But... it also didn't specify not to! His first remark has made me think, so I feel a panel of brewers who are going to be using these recipes could come to a majority conclusion and help discern the correct path (vague or specific). Of course the brewer can change the recipe anytime they want due to not sourcing the grains they need (such as with the very specific CYBI recipes) and make a different beer than the recipe was written, but they will always have the original BCS recipe to fall back on if they didn't like "their" tweak to what we decide is "right" for these recipes. See my conundrum? LOL, I over-think everything or I am not happy when I finish. HELP! lol

Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

First and foremost - if you don't have the book, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's more than just recipes - it's a reference that I still refer back to when exploring a style of beer. Beyond that, thanks for making it easy on the rest of us!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
Wow this is amazing! Thank you so much. I was wondering if I was ever going to get them all entered. I was only entering them as I brew them and only had about 4 so far. I do own the book BTW. For anyone considering downloading and not buying the book, it is still worth the money just for the notes on each style and tips on how to brew it. It is a great investment for the money. Please support the author.

I will let you know if I come across any errors
Thank you very much. Man, that is two posts while I was answering posts, lol. Hope this snowballs into a big helpful thread.
Edit: make that three posts now thanks to makomachine!!! LOL

Old 10-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
First and foremost - if you don't have the book, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's more than just recipes - it's a reference that I still refer back to when exploring a style of beer. Beyond that, thanks for making it easy on the rest of us!
exactly. I have many brewing books and this one is the most tattered looking

Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
WortMonger

Recipes 

LOL, mine is getting that way quickly. I have been through this book 1000 times in writing these recipes for BS. Hand sweat has taken its toll in places where I have held the book looking back and forth to see if I missed something, lol. Great book, and writing these gave me a knew since in recipe making. I see how a lot of what makes styles different is very subtle.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have it but only because the AHA gave it to me. I would not have bought it. I see it as little more than a recipe book and his better ones are available online anyway and are written out much better than they are in the book.

Quick Reply