Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing Classic Styles OG Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post

Batch size is what you want it to be. If you see brewhouse efficiency as the efficiency into the boil kettle (as it is actually defined in many other sources), set batch size to your post boil volume. If you want brewhouse efficiency to be the efficiency into the fermenter, set batch size to your expected fermenter volume.

I set batch size to the post boil volume. Simply because the brewhouse efficiency should not be affected by how much wort I leave in the kettle when transferring to the fermenter. It should only cover mashing and lautering losses.

Kai
This is exactly what I do. I prefer to scale recipes based on extract efficiency. Equipment losses don't seem that relevant to me. So my batch size is what I am left with after the boil.

That said, BeerSmith provides separate "Efficiency into the Boiler" and "Efficiency into the Fermenter" figures. These two are the same if kettle trub and chiller losses are set to zero. So, even if you do want to account for equipment losses in your overall brewhouse efficiency calculation, you can still see your efficiency into the boiler if you want to.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #114 Oatmeal Stout, #115 American Amber
Planned: APA, IPA, Nut Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
CyclingCraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Batch size is what you want it to be. If you see brewhouse efficiency as the efficiency into the boil kettle (as it is actually defined in many other sources), set batch size to your post boil volume. If you want brewhouse efficiency to be the efficiency into the fermenter, set batch size to your expected fermenter volume.
AHHHH... After playing at home with Beersmith this makes more sense

I think I am going to leave my batch size as 5.25 Gal in Beersmith, but set my Brewhouse Eff to a lower number(not the 70%) as stated in the book. For example, when I copy a Recipe from a book or something, I will use a lower Brewhouse Eff than the Recipe assumes until the Beersmiths' estimated OG matches what the book or magazine is calling for. THEN I will only really care about the "Efficiency into Boiler" number that Beersmith displays, which actually should match what the efficiency of the recipe I am copying from is using.

So basically, my big epiphany is that most recipes in books assume efficiency is calculated with post boil volume in the kettle... Beersmith assumes Brewhouse Efficiency uses post boil volumne into Primary Fermentor! (Obviously a lower number).

My "Brewhouse Efficiency" may *look* crappy (About 65%), but my typical "Efficiency into Boiler" number I think is actually pretty good, usually around 75%.

-Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply