Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing with Blackberries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
VermVerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Brewing with Blackberries

I need some advice. Tomorrow I am brewing a blackberry Hefeweizen. I have brewed a ton of AG hefes' before but I have never brewed with fruit.

Anyone know how much Blackberries to use per/something...

Anybody know when to add to the brew...

Anybody know of things to watch out for....

Thanks for the help

Verm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use a can of Oregon fruit puree after primary fermentation has finished.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
VermVerm

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
I use a can of Oregon fruit puree after primary fermentation has finished.
I've Got a ton of real blackberries from a friend...

Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

I used about 3lbs of fresh raspberries for my 5 gal batch of hefe, pretty strong flavor.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think you should add them to secondary, or primary - if because its a hefe you're not doing one or you don't use a secondary anyway. Basically add them once the vigorous fermentation has slowed. Max flavor aroma that way. 3-5lbs sounds good for 5 gallons.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Quercus
Recipes 

I added 3 lbs frozen berries to a 5 gallon batch of porter. Racked over the berries in secondary, and let it sit for two weeks.

While the porter turned out great, there is barely any perceptable blackberry flavor. Although the brew did take on a nice purplish hue.

I was trying to recreate a buddy's blackberry porter, where he used fresh blackberries at a rate of 1 lb per gallon of beer. He added it to the primary about a week after pitching the yeast, and it turned out great.

I'm trying it again, but this time with a 3-lb can of Oregon raspberry puree. I added it to the primary last night, about five days after pitching yeast. Fermentation had pretty much quit, but this morning there was fresh action in the vessel (krausen and airlock).

Hey, first post!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
tgreene7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I did one with two bags of frozen blackberries, at flame out. That was four pounds in five gallons. Used 2 oz fuggles pellets. Awesome, brew. Blackberries, have a sweet tart thing going on, that sits well in the ale taste.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
VermVerm

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus
I added 3 lbs frozen berries to a 5 gallon batch of porter. Racked over the berries in secondary, and let it sit for two weeks.

While the porter turned out great, there is barely any perceptable blackberry flavor. Although the brew did take on a nice purplish hue.

I was trying to recreate a buddy's blackberry porter, where he used fresh blackberries at a rate of 1 lb per gallon of beer. He added it to the primary about a week after pitching the yeast, and it turned out great.

I'm trying it again, but this time with a 3-lb can of Oregon raspberry puree. I added it to the primary last night, about five days after pitching yeast. Fermentation had pretty much quit, but this morning there was fresh action in the vessel (krausen and airlock).

Hey, first post!

Cool, welcome the site.

I have decided to make a hefe and add at 1LB per gallon. I also did a split batch with a Wyest 3056 vs 5068. I am going to add at 4 days to the primary because I have never found a Hefe to need a secondary. I then will do a secondary after the fruit is done. Sit for two weeks, keg, drink, enjoy! Thanks for all of the ideas.
Verm

Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
VermVerm

Recipes 

The beer turned out to be a winner. I just finished the keg with some buddies over the weekend and we enjoyed. The color was like a Grapefruit juice. The taste was crisp and the fruit was muted to barely noticable. The aroma was typical Hefe. Overall it was a good experiment and produced a good beer but it was't over the top great. It was just a good Hefe that happened to look like grapefruit juice...very pretty color.

Quick Reply