Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brettanomyces Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
toman8r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brettanomyces Questions

So I am planning out a recipe for a saison and I would like to finish it with some brett. I would like some substantial brett character in this beer. How do you guys recommend I go about getting that brett character? I am thinking I will mash high, at 156 or so, to leave some residual sugar for the brett to feed on after primary fermentation is complete. I will add the brett for secondary fermentation. The brett will ferment all of these sugars, leaving me with a very dry beer, right? I've never brewed with bugs before (intentionally, anyway), do you guys think that this technique will provide me with some good funkiness? I will be using WLP653 Brettanomyces lambicus, as it it supposed to have the strongest brett character.
I will be fermenting in a glass carboy for the secondary fermentation. I assume I will need to pick up a separate auto siphon, tubing, bottling bucket, and bottling wand for this beer and future brett beers, but will I need a separate carboy too?
What temperature is best for a secondary brett fermentation? I'd like some substantial saison yeast character too, so I will be fermenting at the high end of its temperature range during primary fermentation.
Will I need to re aerate before adding the brett? Also, how long should I leave this beer in the secondary for?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I brew an awesome beer!

Thanks,
Ted

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

If you want a lot of brett character, mashing high is the ticket. Also consider adding a bit of unmalted wheat for the brett to munch on after the regular fermentation is done.

I dont think you will need all new racking equip. A good dose of cleaning and a heavy dose of bleach and rinsing should do the trick.

No need to aerate before adding brett. It actually throws up a pellicle to protect itself against oxygen.

Most likely you will need to secondary for 4-6 months.

If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow for any and all info about wild beer.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Sounds like all of your logic is spot on. Welcome to the sour obsession.

Quick Reply