Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bread yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very interesting responses, thanks all. I think on the next batch, I'll put a little aside in my old Mr Beer and try it with some bread yeast and compare the results. I worked with a guy that was in prison for awhile and he said they actually took bread that was made in the prison bakery and squeezed it and threw it in a bucket of pineapple juice and it fermented. Don't know how good it tasted.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I had some beer that was fermented with store bought yeast (bread yeast) and it was NASTY!!! Don't waste you time and money making and fermenting a beer with that yeast. You will be happy you spend about $6 more and get brewers yeast!

Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz View Post
Very interesting responses, thanks all. I think on the next batch, I'll put a little aside in my old Mr Beer and try it with some bread yeast and compare the results. I worked with a guy that was in prison for awhile and he said they actually took bread that was made in the prison bakery and squeezed it and threw it in a bucket of pineapple juice and it fermented. Don't know how good it tasted.
Prison wine is...interesting...do a google search and see what they've come up with....I didn't know that a white sock stuffed with wonderbread and dropped in a garbage bag filled with ketchup, and the juice of juiceboxes would produce anything drinkable....oh wait taste isn't the issue in their case is it?

Seriously though, experimentation is fun, and the mr beer keg is the perfect device to test things in...use proper sanitization and use about half of what would be in a typical packet of brewer's yeast...

I just wonder at what stage of their brewing knowhow did the people who tried it and said it came out nasty, were at....if you never read anything about brewing and pitched a tbs of bread yeast into a fermenter in your dorm room, and didn't sanitize properly, and drank it 3 days after they bottles it, then even a 6 dollar vial of yeast could produce something nasty....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You said it Revvy, "experimentation is fun"..... like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz View Post
You said it Revvy, "experimentation is fun"..... like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
Even failed experiments can be fun...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...0&postcount=76

I don't get why it seems that anytime someone wants to experiment (even someone like Orfy who's an institution on here) it seems people come out of the woodwork to slam it, instead of encouraging it..One never knows what could come out of it, or what brewing myth could get busted...

How much of our conventional wisdom and common brewing practices now came out of experiments...and I bet they were slammed as well...Some that come to mind.

Modifying a cooler as an MLT
Using an oxygen can and an airstone to aerate (I bet that one went over well in the beginning, "you want to do what, you'll oxydize your beer!!!")
The Better Bottle...

Oh by the way....grinding up Maltballs and trying to ferment that along with cereal is not doable...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
That's why you always have on hand, US-05, Nottingham, S-04, S-33, T-58, K-97 and W-06. I have no LHBS(75-100 miles ) so I make sure I have something just in case.
Also Montrichet, D-47, Cote Des Blanc, Premiere Cuvee, and PLENTY OF CORN SUGAR.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
bluemonkey321
Recipes 

would red wine yeast work or would that be worse than bread yeast?

Bottled - Cider, 80 +/-
Fermenting - Nothing

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am all for experimenting, but if you are a homebrewer, there is some yeast in a fermenter, a bottle, or a keg somewhere!

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

on the note of experimenting, I tried brewing some wine with frozen juice, sugar and beer yeast I had sitting in the fridge and it came out pretty dang good! I just tried it the other day after letting it sit only for a month or so and hey, I know I'll keep up the experimenting and try brewing some more wine from frozen concentrated juice and maybe try using bakers yeast for a small batch... 2 gallons is all you need to do to know if it sucked or just a few glass'/(mugs in my case, being a beer brewing at heart) and your pretty slammed!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey everyone,

I hate paying full price for booze, so even while I'm away from home I'm still homebrewing.

I brewed a Graff of sorts from 3 liters of apple juice plus one kg of liquid malt extract (they sell this in the stores here). I threw in about a dry yeast packets worth of yeast and waited a week. Its actually not that bad. Its drinkable but I would not give it away. Fermented with no temperature control and an indoor average of 70 f about.

The thing that makes it less than 'gift able'is the esters. Bread yeast ferments with a very estery twang. I hear there is a Lhbs around here, I plan to try the same recipe with champagne yeast and I'll probably get a good drink out of it.

PS does anyone know how to calculate the og of that recipe? No hydrometer here either!

Quick Reply