Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bread yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
joejaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default bread yeast

anyone ever brew with bread yeast? beer? apfelwein? If so, what were the results. I alway have the fear of brewing and something happens to the yeast, drop it, loose it, the dog eats it. My home brew supply shop is not around the corner so I can't run right out and get some more.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

That's why you always have on hand, US-05, Nottingham, S-04, S-33, T-58, K-97 and W-06. I have no LHBS(75-100 miles ) so I make sure I have something just in case.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

go to the basic brewing radio website, one of their old video podcasts they did an experiment with bread yeast. I think the end result was a drinkable beer.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
timgman
Recipes 

Default quick ge some snpa !!

quick ge some snpa !! and culture... how long does it take to culture from one of your own brews?
Just a thought!!

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I did it when I was in college, and believe me I won't do it again. Bready is the only thing I can think of. Yuck!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bread yeast was bred to produce lots of CO2 for quick rising. No consideration was given to alcohol production, tolerance , or ester production.

I've read that the alcohol tolerance is decent,, but the esters can be horriffic. Keep some good dry brewing yeast on hand for tight spots as others have said.

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Old 07-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
go to the basic brewing radio website, one of their old video podcasts they did an experiment with bread yeast. I think the end result was a drinkable beer.
it's worth a watch too

September 28, 2007 - Trading Places: Beer and Bread Yeast
James makes a Simcoe Ale with bread yeast, and Steve makes bread with beer yeast.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=video
Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

People have been using bread yeast since time immemoria, long before there were different, cleaner tasting, strains for brewing. In fact if you look at the first beer recipe, the "Hymn to Ninkasi" in the Tales of Gilgamesh,you will find that a special bread was baked, and that bread was added to the cooling mash...it was the yeast from this "Bappir" bread that induced fermentation.

The Maltose falcons and Anchor brewing worked on recreating the recipe several years ago, here's a pic of what they think the bappir looked like.

It's also been used my mead makers as well...

Here's the basic brewing video on using bread yeast. http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...nd-bread-yeast you'll find the results surprising. They pretty much shoot down the off flavor idea....

Also check out Michael Tonsmier the Mad fermentationalist's experiments with different yeasts.

September 20, 2007 - Offbeat Yeast Part One
Michael Tonsmeire, the Mad Fermentationist from Washington D.C., shares some of his beers made with other-than-normal yeast. In this episode: Kvass, Flanders Red, and a Strong, Dark Belgian.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...fbeatyeast.mp3

September 27, 2007 - Offbeat Yeast Part Two
We continue our tasting with Michael Tonsmeire, the Mad Fermentationist from Washington D.C. This week, all the beers are fermented with Brettanomyces.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...beatyeast2.mp3

In other words, it's been used forever, and is still being used by brewers and mead makers, especially those without access to beer yeasts (THere was a guy on here this winter from Bulgaria who can't get any brewing ingredients). And also it is used currently by some people on the Grocery and produce experiment thread.

It won't kill you, it may or may not produce negative flavors in the beer (most of this is lore/conjecture passed on by people who haven't even actually tried it.)

Certain beers may even benefit from the "bready" taste that may be produced, think Kvass or a dark beer with a lot of roasty and biscuity malts in it.

Plus Experimentation is fun.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Certain beers may even benefit from the "bready" taste that may be produced, think Kvass or a dark beer with a lot of roasty and biscuity malts in it.
That's an interesting point to consider...having had East End Brewing's Kvass sessions made with bread yeast & looking at Kavass in general, I don't know is that's a very good example to draw conclusions about general beer usage (flavor, body and abv all being rather un-beer like). It wouldn't hide major off-flavors/fusel/ect contributed by the yeast so it is a good example for very low abv fermentation results.

OP: extra dry brewing yeast packets kept in the fridge are cheap and easy insurance in the event of a primary yeast disaster. I have a couple packs of US05, S33, Nottingham & Windsor in the fridge right now.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply