New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon style Ice Beer at 30-40% ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #71
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintoBean View Post
You are held to the same TTB regulations at home as a commercial brewery. You are just given a break by the government that allows you brew up to 100 gallons/yr tax free (200 gallons if there's two adults over 21 in the household) as long as you don't sell it.

http://www.ttb.gov/beer/beer-faqs.shtml

http://us-code.vlex.com/vid/sec-exemptions-19210894
Reading further, I found that you are absolutely correct. An individual home brewer may produce beer as you noted "tax free." I assume you need to pay taxes above those amounts?

This is very good information. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #72
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester View Post

Reading further, I found that you are absolutely correct. An individual home brewer may produce beer as you noted "tax free." I assume you need to pay taxes above those amounts?

This is very good information. Thank you.
No you simply cannot (legally) do so without possible charges. Odds are low that would happen.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #73
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
It's amusing the regularity to which a thoughtful discourse will devolve into name calling and impugning another's character on the Internet. Does that mean you were out of constructive things to say? Chances are you will never know if you or I were right or wrong - but not being wrong is not the same as being right.

Enjoy your ... product. I know I'll enjoy my own choices.
Agreed. No point to devolve into name calling.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #74
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwig View Post
Good idea to have some water with your booze anyway, I say. Reconstitute it in your stomach!

Really though, unless you are selling this or sharing it on a massive scale, you are not going to have feds at your door.

You can go to jail for hosting a poker game, too--but you don't, unless you're doing it for profit, or otherwise attracting bad attention, because it would be ludicrous. If you call an ATF tipline (or whatever they have) and report your neighbor for putting milk jugs full of cider in a snow drift, you'll be laughed off the line.

On the other hand, if your house looks like the Branch Davidian complex, maybe you should stay straight and narrow.
Funny! Your right and have a good view of life...It doesn't help that I live in a Davidian style complex, right? So far, best response.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #75
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Apple Jack from Apple Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5 View Post
It was as hot tasting as the original. I had a feeling it would be though. Concentrating a bad flavor can only make it worse right? Lol

Ive made numerous beers that abv that were drinkable in a few weeks. Looks like I need to tweak this some more. I still have 3+ gallons of this on the yeast. I'm moving it to secondary this week for aging, I'll try again with 2L of it when I think its ready for bottling.

I'll update this thread when I try it again.
Chris5, I re-read this post and was thinking that you most likely added white sugar and fermented it at room temperature? That, in my experience, is a recipe for "hot liquor" flavors. White sugar gives off harsh flavored alcohol in the first place, which even over time won't calm down.
Why not try concentrated corn syrup or beer extract? We all know that the best bourbon is made with corn and/or malted barley. Maybe that will calm down the harsh flavors. I think I'll try the same on my next Apple Cider

Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #76
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester View Post

White sugar gives off harsh flavored alcohol in the first place, which even over time won't calm down.
My Tripel begs to differ

Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #77
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpants View Post
My Tripel begs to differ
Your going to have to send me a large bottle of that Tripel

Recent Articles
Bourbon Style Ice Beer 30-40% ABV
How to Clean Beer Lines Quick, Cheap and Easy
Chimay Triple White Clone
Competition Winning Maibock/Helles

My Brutus 10 brewery

Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #78
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Great work on this. I am sure it tastes wonderful now but it will get better with time. I did this a while back. Made an imperial stout and then freeze concentrated it five times over. The problem is the process is very inefficient. I agree with you in a perfect world if you remove 75% of the water you would be left with around a 40% beer. However, it isn't a perfect world and the ice you removed had plenty of alcohol trapped in it. I tested the specific gravity of the ice that I removed each time and it was still in the 1.005-1.010 range. So definitely some of the sugar was coming with it but the alcohol too. That was why I did it over and over again. It was concentrating the alcohol for sure because the freezing took longer each time. The last freeze I had to use dry ice to even make it freeze. After all that work it still was not over 40% because it would not light with a match. That is where the term "proof" came from....it would light on fire at 40%. If yours does not light up it's not 40%. Even though it is not 40% it is definitely a higher ABV than before the freeze. It is a fun project and I plan on doing it again sometime.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bi-polar-bear-30-abv-367718/

Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #79
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyMD View Post
Great work on this. I am sure it tastes wonderful now but it will get better with time. I did this a while back...Even though it is not 40% it is definitely a higher ABV than before the freeze. It is a fun project and I plan on doing it again sometime.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bi-polar-bear-30-abv-367718/
I read your recipe and believe this must have been good. I agree that it isn't as simple as I made it to figure the alcohol strength by volume alone. I also think that using the hydrometer is not as accurate either. You have a concentration of beer, adjuncts and the like, which interfere with the reading. I think that we can agree, however that it tastes pretty damn strong, right?

I think that this is such a big topic, that someone should make several batches, use your's and my theory on ABV and maybe we could come up with some formula that would be more accurate?

Until then,
Cheers

Recent Articles
Bourbon Style Ice Beer 30-40% ABV
How to Clean Beer Lines Quick, Cheap and Easy
Chimay Triple White Clone
Competition Winning Maibock/Helles

My Brutus 10 brewery

Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #80
fearwig
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Pretty sure you anyone with both a refractometer and a hydrometer can get absolute ABV with the right formula (you need both). I don't vouch for this calculator or anything but the science is sound enough, there should be some formula that makes it work.

http://www.brewheads.com/refract-getabw.php

I have seen this formula quoted on a board but I wasn't clear on the source:
ABV = [277.8851 - 277.4(SG) + 0.9956(Brix) + 0.00523(Brix2) + 0.000013(Brix3)] x (SG/0.79)

I don't have a refractometer, but that's a decent enough reason to get one by itself.

Now, if I were to apply that to this thread, I'd start by measuring the melted ice. (If you find out it's in the 4-5% abv range send it to Anheuser, they'll add caramel color and roll it out as their next craft beer.)

Quick Reply