Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips, What?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
flyerwire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips, What?

Ok, so i'm doing a bourbon porter. The porter is in the primary and 4oz of medium oak chips are soaking in Makers Mark. The aim is to soak the chips for 2 weeks or so.

1) My question comes in with the secondary, and searching throughout the forum i could never get a consensus answer. When i rack to the secondary with the oak chips, do i completely strain/drain the oak chips or should i pour some of the bourbon with it?

2) How long do i let it sit, i love a local bourbon porter that is pretty strong on the bourbon flavor but not quite overpowering... for anyone with experience, how long will it take to get the flavor? I guess the best way is to just sample it after 2 weeks and then go from there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
ace3's carboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually leave about 1/2 cup of the bourbon per 5 gallon in my vanilla bourbon porter. Assuming you're doing a 5 gallon batch, 4oz of the bourbon soaked wood should make itself very well known in about 7 days. The flavor of the wood will mellow slightly with time as well. 2 weeks of 4 oz wood chips will likely impart far too much wood taste imho

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes, a 5g batch, didnt mention it.

thanks for the response, i definitely dont want the oak overpowering anything so i'll take a sample around 5-7 days to test when to pull it off. Is it a very strong inital flavor that does well to let mellow?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Yes. I have a bourbon oaked beer that I oaked for 10 days, and it's now becoming drinkable.

I used one ounce of medium toasted oak for three gallons. I bottled it on 8/16/09, and it's now still "oaky" but not as intense as it was. It's now pretty drinkable.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
ace3's carboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

7ish days should give you an instantly noticeable oak character that should fade into a much more balanced amount in maybe 3-4 weeks

Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I pour the bourbon and the oak chips in the secondary.

7-10 days, but really no more. It will take time to mellow out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

great, it'll be sitting for a bit once it comes off of the secondary so it should mellow well. thanks for the replies! I'm looking to bring a good bit of it to the old man for x-mas.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!
Yeah.....it takes a long time to mellow out oak...like months sometimes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i had bad timing... i know. its only going to be a sample, so i can pass on the sample and bring something else for him to hold him over a few more months. i was thinking of adjusting the oak chips anyway from everyone saying they used much less!

Quick Reply