Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bourbon oak whiskey brown ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
MrWhleDr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bourbon oak whiskey brown ale

SO I brewed a brown ale and plan on adding oak chips soaked in whiskey but am not sure if the whiskey will affect bottle priming. The OG was 1048 so I dont want to over power the malt or kill the yeast, but want a well balanced whiskey oak backing. My plan is to primary for 5 days and rack to a secondary with the 3 oz.oak chips and 4oz. whiskey awaiting. This should be fine. I am concerned with killing the yeast that will prime the bottled product. Will the whiskey be to much and kill the yeast. I know there are options such as adding yeast during bottling but have not practiced this before and would prefer not for no particular reason. Should I just add a dry pack during bottling and prime as usual, (1.8v/co2 Ya I like cask ale) is there another measure to take, or should I even worry at all? I am excited for this brew because it is unique to the common style I brew and dont want to ruin it. Let me know what you suggest. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 96

The alcohol added by 4 oz of 40% ABV bourbon in 5 gallons of 5% beer is negligible (~.25%), your yeast will be fine. 3 oz of oak is a lot in a light beer, I might back it down to 2 oz. Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply