Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon County Stout clone attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #41
ewhite1217
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I will look into brew in bag. You are right about the roasted barley. I was confused. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Gonna brew this evening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #42
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite1217 View Post
I will look into brew in bag. You are right about the roasted barley. I was confused. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Gonna brew this evening.
I am no expert in BIAB (I have only done about a half dozen or so), but in a nutshell... for my BIAB Partial Mash recipe (11 lbs of grain), you want to:

Heat 13.75qts of water to 167*F and add in the crushed grains (Or ~13.25qts if you are using my revised 1.5lbs of roasted barley). This should give you a temp just below 152*F. Regardless of what your thermometer reads after adding the grain, DO NOT adjust your temp for at least 10 minutes. And as long as you are between 148 and 156, leave it alone. Really, thermometers are kinda close to fool-proof and so is the mashing procedure, so don't go thinking you screwed it up after a premature read. It takes time for the temp to stabilize. That's what stirring is for.

Here is the mash calculator I use. I am assuming your grains are at 70*F, but you can vary that variable if the temps are different.

Let it sit for an hour, stirring a couple of times (maybe 2 or 3). Yes, the temp will drop a little, don't worry about it.

Top off your pot with water and bring the temp up to 170*F while stirring or bobbing your grain bag, then remove your grains.

This is really no different from steeping except that you control the volume of water and temperature more closely to encourage some conversion. That's what the few pounds of two-row is there for. And whatever you get for OG, you get. Add in your Munich LME, and once that's added, use some extra DME as a final tweak your OG.

Have a big healthy starter ready to go! This is a huge fermentation and you need to pitch healthy yeast. Adding a vial of White Labs straight to the fermenter simply will not cut it. I suggest cold crashing your starter for a day or three, decanting, and then warming the starter to room temp and adding a little bit of extra wort, just a tiny bit, for the 3-6 hours you are brewing. That should get the yeasties active again for the fermentation. Or just pitch 2 or maybe even 3 packets of dry yeast with lots of aeration.

If you do decide to go the Extract + Steeping Grains route, hopefully you have some handle on how your extract ferments out. You really want to get close to that 1.040 FG. I'd guess something above around 1.124 would be good for all extract + steeping grains. I would have preferred to be at 1.134 or so for my PM recipe.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #43
stevedore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite1217 View Post
So how did it go? Same question goes for the OP- interested to know how close it gets to BCBS after all this time. I'm looking at the several recipes that I've found here on HBT in researching BCBS clone recipes, including Sir Humpsalot. But since the OP uses a good amount of extract, I think I may look at this recipe more and think about tweaking it based on everyone else's experiences.

I'm planning to use BIAB here with my 30qt stockpot- I'm getting a grain bag and probably invest in some additional equipment such as a digital scale and digital thermometer to give myself additional info in the process. I just want to research the heck out of this process before I brew because given the grain bill, it's going to be a pretty expensive and time-consuming undertaking and I want to get this as close to being right as I can.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #44
MoreCowbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have two bottles of BCS that have been aging for 3 years. Wonder if they are any good? Maybe I'll pitch them.....NOT!!!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #45
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Any feed back on any of these clones? I was hoping to brew one in a couple weeks.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #46
ShadyLane
Recipes 

I tried my hand at this clone and it's been in fermentation for about 7 months. I added bourbon soaked oak chips and vanilla beans last week and dipped in for a second taste today. It was quite sweet after the first few months but since adding white labs super high gravity yeast (at the insistence of my LHBS) it is much dryer/thinner than the real deal. I have fed it some sugar in hopes of raising the FG, but it seems to continue to ferment out.

The only major alteration to the recipe was a huge addition of coffee just before flame out. I think the overload of oils from the coffee is influencing the beer as well. There's a slightly sour coffee flavor as well as an oily mouthfeel. Not sure how Goose Island gets there BCBCS so rich in coffee flavor!

Overall, it is a pleasant beer so far, and once the vanilla and oak settle in I would be pleased, if only I could dial up the sweetness. Should I try to continue to feed it sugar in hopes that the ABV will eventually reach a level that will cause the super high gravity yeast to give up? If so, will I have trouble with bottle carbonation?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #47
pjdunn11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Adding sugar won't raise the FG as it is mostly fermentable. It'll just create more alcohol. Try adding something unfermentable like lactose or maltodextrine if you want to raise the FG. Those will also affect mouthfeel and body.

If you use brewing software (BeerSmith, BeerTools, etc), they can help calculate how much to add..

Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #48
dahray02
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So i brewed the PM version of this January 2013, kegged it and put it in my closet for my 30th bday Feb 2014. Yesterday for the first time ever I moved the keg, it literally sat in the same spot for a year. So its in my keezer now on CO2 until my bday at the end of Feb, and I admit I stole a quick sample last night....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA. This thing is nuts, very thick and silky like the original BCBS. I think mine has way more bourbon up front than the original (which is not a bad thing) and I nailed it at 11%. Needless to say my 30th bday will be a glorious day. I'll have some of the original and my version for side by side tastings. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #49
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahray02 View Post
So i brewed the PM version of this January 2013, kegged it and put it in my closet for my 30th bday Feb 2014. Yesterday for the first time ever I moved the keg, it literally sat in the same spot for a year. So its in my keezer now on CO2 until my bday at the end of Feb, and I admit I stole a quick sample last night....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA. This thing is nuts, very thick and silky like the original BCBS. I think mine has way more bourbon up front than the original (which is not a bad thing) and I nailed it at 11%. Needless to say my 30th bday will be a glorious day. I'll have some of the original and my version for side by side tastings. Thank you for this recipe!!!
Congrats! Now start brewing the next batch!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #50
chichum
Recipes 

Thread revival: I made this and am set to bottle after 7 months of aging in the secondary. My question is this: when bottling, did you pitch new yeast or is there enough floating around to carb the bottles with the priming sugar? I've read things from add more of the original yeast, add champagne yeast and then to Danstar Cask and Bottle Conditioning Ale Yeast instead of champagne. What's everyone's thoughts? My OG was 1.130 and my SG (currently) is 1.030.

Quick Reply