Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon County Stout Clone in a 5gal MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #41
owend17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkinn View Post
Few questions for the OP that I didn't see addressed in the thread.

1. What kind of fermenter did you use for aging? Have people had varying success with the allowed oxidation of plastic vs glass and how it compares to a real barrel?

2. Why is there such a difference in the yeasts everyone is using for different clone recipes? A lot of people swearing by SuperYeast, but then a lot of people using many packs of English Ale or Irish Ale... Can someone give a good reasoning why you chose what you did or have results?

Thanks for the info folks; I'm excited to brew this.

I would imagine the people using 4 and 5 packages of yeast don't know how to make a starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #42
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by owend17 View Post
I would imagine the people using 4 and 5 packages of yeast don't know how to make a starter.
You don't make starters with dry yeast, which is why I just throw 3 pack of US-05 in there. It's easy, and repeatable. How big of a starter would you need to ferement a beer that starts at 1.125? I don't mess around with gallon starters, if it takes more than a qt and half, I just throw another pack in. Peace of mind.

As far as yeast selection, I just went with dry american yeast. I don't think it matters.

Bourbon selection shouldn't matter much either, as long as it is drinkable neat, go for it.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #43
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuttz View Post
You don't make starters with dry yeast, which is why I just throw 3 pack of US-05 in there. It's easy, and repeatable. How big of a starter would you need to ferement a beer that starts at 1.125? I don't mess around with gallon starters, if it takes more than a qt and half, I just throw another pack in. Peace of mind.

As far as yeast selection, I just went with dry american yeast. I don't think it matters.

Bourbon selection shouldn't matter much either, as long as it is drinkable neat, go for it.

I agree!
2.5+gallon for the starter

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #44
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Great thread guys. At some point I want to make a big thick stout that ends up pretty high in gravity and this might just be it.

As for the yeast, instead of spending that much on dry yeast or DME for starters, I'd just make a 3 gallon batch of a smaller brown ale, porter or stout and reuse some of the yeast cake. Might as well make get some beer out of it instead of just dumping the oxidized starter beer down the drain.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #45
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owend17 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but you could use those new carbonation pills. I think they're called prime dose? It has yeast nutrient, yeast, and sugar all in the pill. 2 capsules per 12oz bottle.
I will look into that, but my thought has been that I still have fermentables in there. So if I add the pills, I'm really just using it for the yeast. I just need to set up a test where I add some yeast to some bottles and add the tablets to other bottles.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #46
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So the carbonation pills are nothing more than yeast, sugar and nutrient?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #47
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got my Prime Dose capsules and will start adding them to my bottles in the next day or two. One thing that's lost on me however is am I supposed to break open the capsules or just chuck the whole thing in there? The container comes with no instructions. Any one know what "vegan, nutraceutical-grade capsule" means? Does that mean it will dissolve?

I feel dumb and google isn't helping.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #48
mtnagel
Recipes 

I'm going to say that it's vegan because the gelatin in the capsule come from a synthetic source vs a natural source (animal by products).

I'm sure the gelatin would dissolve, but I'm surprised they chose capsules versus a compressed tab. I guess that small amount of gelatin in the beer would be okay, but you could open them up and dump the contents in each bottle, but that sounds like a pain in the butt.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #49
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bourbon County Stout Clone in a 5gal MLT

I tossed 2 capsules into a bottle last night, recapped, and have it a shake. When I get home in about an hour, I'll check to see if they're still floating around in one piece...

[UPDATE: The capsules have completely dissolved. That's a relief, b/c it'd be a pain to have to pour the powder into the bottles.]

Old 03-15-2014, 03:11 AM   #50
mtnagel
Recipes 

Good to hear. Hopefully everything works out.

Quick Reply