Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon County Stout Clone in a 5gal MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #31
Brihaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still flat. Shook bottles, placed them next to the heating vent getting them up to 85 degrees at least. Still nothing.

I way underpitched for fermentation. Looking into opening the bottles, adding fresh yeast, and re-capping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have some 2013 BCBS, and plan on doing another side by side in a month. My batch will be about a year old then, and it should be more apples to apples with the BCBS. I can tell you my batch has smoothed out considerably since July when I did the last side by side, so maybe this will be closer than I originally thought. Stay tuned.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #33
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Eager to hear. This may end up being what I use to fill our 53 gallon barrel

Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #34
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

OK, just did another comparison. My batch is essentially a year old now, and comparable to bourbon county in age. I'm comparing it to a 2013 bourbon county, to try to get as close to apples to apples as possible. So, I would now say that bourbon county stout has more bourbon flavor than my homebrew. They are both on the same level as far as smoothness, but my homebrewed version is still definitely roastier. If/when I brew this again, I may drop the roast and carafa by 1/2 lb each and see where that gets me.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #35
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

And, there is definitely an oxidative quality from the barrel that you don't get by adding bourbon and oak cubes to a fermenter (duh).

Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #36
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuttz View Post
OK, just did another comparison. My batch is essentially a year old now, and comparable to bourbon county in age. I'm comparing it to a 2013 bourbon county, to try to get as close to apples to apples as possible. So, I would now say that bourbon county stout has more bourbon flavor than my homebrew. They are both on the same level as far as smoothness, but my homebrewed version is still definitely roastier. If/when I brew this again, I may drop the roast and carafa by 1/2 lb each and see where that gets me.
could you post the updated reciepe?
also I noticed your post from earlier says you boiled for 3+ hours? what was the reason for the long boil.
Thanks

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #37
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Here would probably be my next shot at it. I decreased the dark malts by a pound overall, and upped the base malts a bit. I had 3% lower efficiency than i was shooting for the first time, so that is to help make up for that. The long boil is to help concentrate the flavors. To be honest, I only planned on 2 hours, but overshot my water volume by a lot, so I'm going to stick with it going forward. Right now, my beer is a huge bourbon stout, and I hope I can push it more towards BCBS. Dropping the dark malts by a lb will hopefully help.

15 lb 2 row
14.75 lb munich
1.75 lb chocolate
1.5 lb crystal 60
1 lb roast barley
.75 lb debittered black malt
5.25 oz ekg @ bittering
3 packs US-05

Mash @ 152F for 60 minutes
Boil 4 hr
Ferment at 59F

Add 1 oz heavy toast oak cubes and 1 liter of bourbon to the secondary for 3 months.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #38
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

What do you think of Gentleman Jack for soaking the oak in?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #39
Mkinn
Recipes 

Few questions for the OP that I didn't see addressed in the thread.

1. What kind of fermenter did you use for aging? Have people had varying success with the allowed oxidation of plastic vs glass and how it compares to a real barrel?

2. Why is there such a difference in the yeasts everyone is using for different clone recipes? A lot of people swearing by SuperYeast, but then a lot of people using many packs of English Ale or Irish Ale... Can someone give a good reasoning why you chose what you did or have results?

Thanks for the info folks; I'm excited to brew this.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #40
owend17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihaus View Post
Still flat. Shook bottles, placed them next to the heating vent getting them up to 85 degrees at least. Still nothing.

I way underpitched for fermentation. Looking into opening the bottles, adding fresh yeast, and re-capping.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but you could use those new carbonation pills. I think they're called prime dose? It has yeast nutrient, yeast, and sugar all in the pill. 2 capsules per 12oz bottle.

Quick Reply