Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon County Stout Clone in a 5gal MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
stevedore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey Sir Humpsalot- just wondering how it's come along so far 2.5 months later. Are you still aging it? What do you think- does it get close to the original BCBS?

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally brewed this one up on Saturday. I hit 1.126, with my mash tun totally filled to the top. Efficiency was poor, but I expected that and countered by adding extra grain.

14 lb 2 row
13 lb munich
2 lb chocolate
1.5 lb crystal 60
1.5 lb roast barley
1 lb debittered black malt
5.25 oz ekg @ bittering
3 packs US-05

Mash @ 152F for 60 minutes
Boil 3 hr 45 min
Ferment at 59F

I plan on adding the following. I am going to pre soak the oak in bourbon and dump the liquid to get rid of some of the oak flavor. I will keep you all updated.

Add 0.85 oz heavy toast oak cubes and 1 1/3 cups of bourbon to the secondary.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I racked the above beer to the secondary Sunday. Final gravity 1.044. It's in the secondary now, where it will sit for 2 months. I decided not to dump out the bourbon the oak was sitting in, it tasted too good, so in with the cubes it went. This thing is definitely huge and syrupy. I can't wait to get some carbonation on it in a few months and see what I am dealing with/do a comparison.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So I ended up dumping about a liter of bourbon in total to get the balance right. A beer that finishes this high could definitely take it. Its being forced carbonated now. I will do a side by side in about three weeks.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #15
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 3430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuttz View Post
So I ended up dumping about a liter of bourbon in total to get the balance right. A beer that finishes this high could definitely take it. Its being forced carbonated now. I will do a side by side in about three weeks.
Been on the hunt for a good clone!
Cant wait to hear about it.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any update on the outcome of this??

Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well mine turned out quite good. It's huge. I haven't done a side by side yet, as I just bottled it last Thursday. I'll try to do a tasting this week. If I had to guess, right now i would say my version is roastier than the real thing, but I don't think its bad that way.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 3430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuttz View Post
Well mine turned out quite good. It's huge. I haven't done a side by side yet, as I just bottled it last Thursday. I'll try to do a tasting this week. If I had to guess, right now i would say my version is roastier than the real thing, but I don't think its bad that way.
Im glad you responded, i liked how you split the 2-row and munich into almost identical % and was woundering how it came out.
Im going to drop the roast to 1lb and brew this up this weekend, you added a whole liter of bourbon? HOLT $hit, any idea on how much you jumped the ABV?

How was the oak treatment process also? Mind detailing your "barrel process" and what you added/how long what soaked?

I plan on replaced a couple pounds of 2-row with DME so i dont have to boil for 3+ hours and overload my MT

Cheers!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can you re-use bourbon soaked oak chips/cubes? Is there a washing technique?

I made 2 batches in back to back weeks. The first was a 5-gallon partial mash batch, using a general imperial stout extract recipe but converted to partial mash & upping the grain bill with extra grains i had laying around. OG was 1.120, missing my target 1.126 b/c I added a quart too much when topping off. Oh well. I pitched wyeast 1056 from an inflated slap pack & let it go. It kicked off smoothly so I saw no need for a a blow off hose, then it blew the top off on day 3. I cleaned up and let it finish up for 3 weeks at 60-64 degrees, finishing at 1.043. I transferred to secondary @ added about 2 oz of Knob-soaked oak chips (soaked for 2 weeks). It sat on the oak chips flr 2 more weeks and then I bottled. FG actually came down to 1.042 in secondary.

While this was all happening, i brewed a second, 3-gallon batch using the published ingredient list for GI BCS, plugged into Beersmith & reached a OG of 1.138. This time, when I pitched the 1056, the slap pack hadnt broken, so i piured some sleepy yeast into a sugar bowl. Fermentation activity was extremely week to say the least. it has been sitting in the primary undisturbed for 4 weeks. I havent checked the gravity & may need to do a starter & re-pitch, or try something else. Different problem for a different thread...Anyway, when it's ready, I will probably add the oak chips that have been soaking already soaking for a month, directly to the primary.

Here's where my question arises. I had a total of 4 oz of oak chips soaking in the Knob, and left 2 oz there when I racked to the secondary. So when i bottled, I simply recovered the chips from the secondary and reunited them with the chips that had been soaking for a month. I figured they're going into another stout very soon anyway, so why not?

Well it's been a couple days & I'm wondering if I'm going to have any sterilization issues. Thoughts? Is there bacteria growing in the oak? Do I need to add more Knob to sterilize? I never should have done this b/c I dont need 4 oz of bourbon oak chips for a 3 gallon batch, but we do stupid things sometimes.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE: I checked my notes, and i did take a gravity reading on the 3 gallon batch 10 days ago, when it was 1.050. Took another today, and it's 1.046. I'll see of i can put it back in warmer temps and get it down a couple more points before adding the chips.

I did some checking around about re-using the chips. I guess chips can be re-used, but they will be spent after anout 4 weeks & it will take longer for the beer to extract anything from them. So the bourbon has probably extracted every oak quality already.

Quick Reply