Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon aged Barley wine recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
homebrewdon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Bourbon aged Barley wine recipes

Does anyone have a good recipe for a barley wine aged w/ oak chips soaked in my favorite bourbon, Knob Creek? I've also come across barley wine aged in oak chips soaked in red wine but wanted to get some feed back before I took the plunge. This is going to be a family tradition starting on christmas, that we'll enjoy next year so I have plenty of time to age and mellow it. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've never had a bourbon barleywine but I've read about people doing just that. I've had oaked IPAs that were amazing, so it's a similar sort of flavor combo. Vanillin and hops seem to go together well.

I think any good recipe will be improved with oak aging. I'm planning on oak/bourbon aging my SMaSH barleywine.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply