Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bottom of the barrel Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bottom of the barrel Brew!

About a month ago I had the pleasure of tasting one of the best beers i've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It was a scottish beer that smelled and tasted just like what a good whiskey or scotch smells like! A group of people in a homebrew club got their hands on a big oak barrel, made their batches of beer all the same recepie, and poured them into the barrel. They then aged it then split it up and bottled. It was FANTASTIC! I still can taste it! I want to make a beer like this. I don't, however, want to get an oak barrel. What would be a good recepie for this beer? How would I prepare some oak chips. What kind of chips should I get? SOMEONE HELP!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
teacup13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i am kind of new here.... but a friend of mine has wood chunks for smoking food and she just throws the oak chunks in... she doesnt prepare them any special way, has been doing it for years this way

i think oak chips may do, but you gotta make sure its well strained i believe... someone with more knowledge could probably help a little better

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply