Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bottle with honey? coffee?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
hardrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle with honey? coffee?

i'm thinking about bottling with honey...anyone done this? my question, really, is weather or not you are actually adding any taste to the beer. I've been using cane sugar and been pleased (i read a book about corn sugar and don't use it anymore...call me a hippie).

was going to to it to my stout, give it a little color.

i'm also considering adding coffee to the stout...from what i read (in one of the popular books) some fridge-brewed coffee added to the bottling bucket can be a nice touch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Can't say much about honey, except it ferments VERY SLOW...So it might take forever to carb.
As far as Coffee...I LOVE coffee in my stout. My first batch, I was scared to add too much and put 2 strong cups of coffee in the secondary...couldn't even taste it...then I added a whole pot of triple strength coffee...TOO MUCH! I ended up liking about 6 cups of coffee in the secondary (Bottling bucket would be good too) made about 2 or 3 times as strong as you would usually drink it. It won't be coffee flavored beer, it will be beer with a coffee flavor.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Regarding honey for priming

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35438

Looks like the main issues are being able to determine sugar content and that honey ferments very slowly, therefore it will take longer to carb.

As for coffee. You could add it to the bottling bucket and mix. A better option would be to add it to a secondary and let sit two weeks allowing the coffee flavor to better infuse into your beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
hardrain
Recipes 

ya i think the secondary thing might be a better idea....however do you think I should add the pre-brewed coffee or lightly grind up some beans and let them 'brew' in the secondary?

the honey thing might be a big over my head right now...

Old 02-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You didn't say if you were breweing with grains or extract only. If you are brewing with grains and wanted a honey flavor I would use honey malt. I have used them in a few batches ( half pound ) and I love the added sweet honey flavor. Honey in beer just ferments out and adds ABV but little flavor.

I have used honey to prime Apfelwein. I used half corn sugar and half honey, but I was planning on long term bottle aging with this batch since I already had a case or two ready to drink. I guessed low on the amounts, and it wasn't as carbed as I wanted it to be, but it does taste really good.

I got some stout with coffee in a swap and it was great. If I remember correctly, he cold brewed it to avoid coffee oils and added it to the secondary.

EVAN is the one that sent me that one... I found my notes from Nov 29th

"The Cappaccino Stout was absolutley extrordinary. "Inundated with several shots of local Shenandoa Joe Cofee Roasters 'Dark Horse' Espresso" Holy Sh*t! This was amazing. I believe this beer would win awards. " I would check with Evan

Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts

hippie

i actually despise the taste of corn sugar, so i don't use it in any recipes. i still use it when i bottle, as i had some horrible luck with extract (probably just the brand.) corn sugar works fine and you can't taste it after it's finished, thankfully. i primarily keg right now anyway

my friend makes an awesome coffee porter that we take to the desert each year. he added a ton of coffee last year (almost a whole pot, i think) and it tasted wonderful.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default coffee

i recently added coffee at bottling for a porter (split batch). I used 16oz. water steeped with coarsely ground beans (double amount- @ 5 TB). this was cold-steeped in a french press for 1-2 days in the fridge. i then ran this throiugh a coffee filter which gave me a yield of 12oz. for a 2.5 gallon batch. THIS GAVE TOO MUCH OF A COFFEE TASTE. It was at the front, vying for all other flavors, and beating them out. If cold steeping coffee, my advice is to use anywhere from 6-12 oz. MAX of coffee for the 5 gallon batch. Start with 6-8 oz. then work your way up by tasting it. I don't think i would exceed 10-12 oz though. My $.02.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhot55
If cold steeping coffee, my advice is to use anywhere from 6-12 oz. MAX of coffee for the 5 gallon batch.
My my coffee stout, I course ground 10oz of Starbucks House Blend. Placed in a 44oz bottle of filtered water, and left in fridge for 24 hours.

During bottling, I paper-filtered, then pastuerized at 170. Not really needed, but just to be safe.

Came out with a strong coffee flavor- Exactly what I wanted, and still has perfect head (which is the main purpose of the cold filtering). The OG was kept low so make it more of a "Breakfast beer", as its called.

nick

Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft
My my coffee stout, I course ground 10oz of Starbucks House Blend. Placed in a 44oz bottle of filtered water, and left in fridge for 24 hours.

During bottling, I paper-filtered, then pastuerized at 170. Not really needed, but just to be safe.

Came out with a strong coffee flavor- Exactly what I wanted, and still has perfect head (which is the main purpose of the cold filtering). The OG was kept low so make it more of a "Breakfast beer", as its called.

nick
i used 4 oz beans for 2.5 gallons which is close to using your 10 oz. for 5 gallons. you just diluted it with more water...this should make a difference in strength. I would assume 44 oz. of diluted coffee (10 oz. beans) wouldn't be as strong as 24oz. (if i doubled to 5 gallons) of concentrated strong coffee (8-10 oz. beans).
All the same, you admit to a strong coffee taste. Was it as strong as your sout flavors, or was it in the backround... i was looking for a more subdued, but nicely present taste of coffee...maybe i'll try your way or just use the same amount i used but for a 5 gallon batch.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrain
(i read a book about corn sugar and don't use it anymore...call me a hippie).
omnivore's dilemma? yeah, it made me reconsider the corn sugar too.

i spent some time thinking about it and decided not to throw out the baby (bottling sugar, which is small in amount and has a good reason for being there) with the bathwater (the mountains of corn-derived additives that i try to avoid in my food). and i like to think that i'm still a hippie.

besides, i wouldn't consider cane sugar to be a model of responsible agriculture. honey could be better, if you know where it came from.

Quick Reply