Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Boom-Boom vanilla overpowering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
skifast1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Boom-Boom vanilla overpowering?

Hi all - I just cracked open a 1-week-old bottle of Cheesefood's famous Caramel Cream Ale (aka "Boom Boom") and the initial taste was REALLY overpowering with vanilla. I used the original recipe of 2oz in the primary and 4oz in the priming mix. Fermentation was excellent, no other indications of 'off' flavors, but definitely not ready for prime time. Have others found that the vanilla taste diminishes/mellows over time? I can't imagine anyone would like vanilla that much

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifast1
Hi all - I just cracked open a 1-week-old bottle of Cheesefood's famous Caramel Cream Ale (aka "Boom Boom") and the initial taste was REALLY overpowering with vanilla. I used the original recipe of 2oz in the primary and 4oz in the priming mix. Fermentation was excellent, no other indications of 'off' flavors, but definitely not ready for prime time. Have others found that the vanilla taste diminishes/mellows over time? I can't imagine anyone would like vanilla that much
It will definitely diminish. I guess some brands of vanilla must be more potent than others. Then again, I *really* like the taste of vanilla.

How long has it been bottled? In a few weeks the flavor should substantially die down.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
It will definitely diminish. I guess some brands of vanilla must be more potent than others. Then again, I *really* like the taste of vanilla.

How long has it been bottled? In a few weeks the flavor should substantially die down.
It was just about 6 days in the bottle, so I was being impatient (as usual). I really like vanilla as well, but this was more than just a matter of taste. I'll be curious to see where it 'settles' in the next month so I can adjust for the next batch!

P.S. Love the avatars!

Old 06-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
slushy1975
Recipes 

The vanilla "influence" definitely diminishes over the weeks and really balances nicely.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
ldaug
Recipes 

I made this one and had the same reaction as you. I let it sit for about two months since people said it would mellow out. After two months I dumped it. It was nasty. I may never add vanilla extract to a brew again, but if I do, never more then 2 oz.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used 1 oz total. You can barely taste it at all. I think next go around, I'll use 2 maybe 2 1/2

Old 06-25-2006, 01:55 AM   #7
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I made a vanilla stout last year. It was very tasty and really strong but very vanilla...ey. Too damned vanillaey ! I'd wake up the next morning tasting vanilla. It is definately on my list of things never to brew with again!

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 06-28-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, it's been a little over 2 weeks since bottling and the initial taste has mellowed considerably, with a lot less overpowering sweetness. The aftertaste is still a bit harsh, but I expect this will subside as well in a couple of weeks. Looking better!

Old 06-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I think that it should be stated that the amount of vanilla to use is variable, dependent on strength and desired taste. I used store-brand REAL vanilla extract the first time and real bourbon vanilla extract ($6.95 for 16 oz at Costco) the second time.

I assume some of the imitations can be more unpredictable, just as other brands can be. Finally, it has to be reinforced that the recipe I created was intended to taste like vanilla. It's the main flavor, not a hidden after taste.

I've made a note about the amount of vanilla to use on the original recipe for anyone else who's interested in brewing this.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I think that it should be stated that the amount of vanilla to use is variable, dependent on strength and desired taste.....I assume some of the imitations can be more unpredictable, just as other brands can be. Finally, it has to be reinforced that the recipe I created was intended to taste like vanilla. It's the main flavor, not a hidden after taste.
Points very well taken, and please don't take my comments as criticism of the recipe - in fact it's becoming quite delicious I was wondering how the hops would combine with the vanilla, and it really is a good balance. If anything, my comments about the initial overpowering vanilla should be a reinforcement for fellow newbies to RDWHAHB and let the damn stuff age properly. Fortunately, I have all but 2 bottles left in the batch, so I plan to enjoy the rest throughout the summer.

For posterity's sake, I used Jewel-brand real vanilla in the original recipe's proportions (2 oz primary, 4 oz priming). Regardless of how well this batch balances out, I'm eager to try your other version - count me as a fan!

Quick Reply